Chapter twenty-nine

"Amelia, I'm serious, what the hell happened?" Luke asked as we entered the house

"Amelia, I'm serious, what the hell happened?" Luke asked as we entered the house. I walked straight upstairs and into my room before I collapsed on my bed and let the tears fall. "Amelia..."

"Atlas. Atlas is the damn reason," I cried out, trying to calm down. "Atlas is trying to use our relationship against Nate and I in order to secure his place at the firm." I heard my bedroom door close as Luke's footsteps came closer to the bed until he eventually sat down next to me.

"What did Nate tell you?" I turned over on my back and stared up at the ceiling.

"He said that I shouldn't care about what people might think of me and just to let it go. But after a while, he just said I was right and that I should leave. He'll sign me over to one of his colleagues for the rest of the semester," I cried out as Luke turned his face towards me.

I can't be selfish. I'm not perfect for you. And neither are you for me.

How could he say this? He didn't make it much of a secret just how perfect I was for him and now, right after something didn't go our way, he was ready to throw it all away. I was an atom away from asking him for help from Nico but his words stung my heart like no rejection has ever.

"I'll talk to him," he said quietly.

"No. No, you're not. Fuck him if that is all I mean to him." I wiped my face with my hands as I sat up.

"You don't mean that." I nodded as I stood up and walked over to my computer.

"I meant every word. If he doesn't have the balls to live up to his words and find some sort of solution then fuck him."

"He loves you." I scoffed as I turned my laptop on. "Amelia, you're being childish."

"How?" I turned to face him. "He's the one who ended it."

"But you could've told him what you might have wanted to do, instead, you chickened out and now you're crying." My eyes widened.

"Chickened out?" He sighed. "You're an idiot." I turned back to my computer screen and opened my email to do what I should've done months ago.

"Amelia-"

"How can you tell me he loves me when weeks ago you made me well aware to stay away from him?" I typed in the school administrator's email and the title.

"I didn't think Nathanial would be ready for something permanent."

"A permanent whore?"

"Don't." I started to type my letter at such speed, that it felt like my life depended on it.

"He doesn't need a girlfriend. You were right apparently." My eyes skimmed through the words.

Dear Mrs Adalwen,

I am writing to you to ask if I could transfer from Mr Dalton's classes. After a few months of working together, I am afraid I have not had the best experience. His teaching is descent, however, for personal reasons, I would appreciate it if you could transfer me off to Mrs Bloomerg's class for the rest of the year until graduation.