Chapter eighteen

Three days later

Three days later

"In conclusion, this method can only be used when you're trying to find the derivative of said equation." The moment papers began to shuffle and chatter erupted, I took a breath of frustration. I had to hold back the eye roll that this class gave me every goddamn day.

I walked around the desk before I sat down and took my coffee cup in my hand as I looked through my emails. I took a sip of my drink as I opened an email from Luke.

Business looks fine. Finances look fine.

His sister is fucking fine as hell.

I almost spat out my coffee. Over the last two days, since I got back from Rome, we haven't seen each other. We talked every day, trying to find out more and more about one another but only decided to meet tonight. I had a load of work to catch up on while she had a ton of schoolwork.

And the fact that she got a callback from the Marion institute. Fucking Robert called her back for next week for an interview. Of course, I knew he would. How could you not like her as a possible employee? She was brilliant on paper and was the real deal.

It irked me she had accepted. I didn't try to fight with her but tonight I'd bring it up. My company would give her more than Robert. He would tarnish her. No doubt forget her after a week and put her down with the rest of his people.

Amelia was worth far more than that. I had mentioned the possibility of her working under me to Luke. He didn't mind that possibility. After all, he'd work with his sister and maybe even in the same branch.

I couldn't lie, the past few days had been hard without her. And on top of that, she didn't send anything I'd asked her. Well, except for her coursework but I wanted something a bit different. Something that would make me very pleased. I didn't even need to go in-depth into her work. It was brilliant. Only found one mistake. One damn mistake in the entire paper. I was really proud of her.

"Mr Dalton," my eyes shot upwards to the kid that sat next to Mel. "I'm sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I've been stuck on?" What was his name? Oh, right, Atlas. The name slipped past her lips right in front of me.

Prick.

"What is it?" He flipped through his notes and took out a piece of paper. I set my coffee cup down and took the paper in my hand. My eyes skimmed through the work, seeing some similar problems I'd given Amelia.

"I wanted to ask Amelia for help since she's covered this topic but she doesn't go to these classes lately." I tried to hold back my smile. I didn't want him around her. I didn't see him as a possible threat. No way. But I did, however, hated seeing her with other guys. "Do you know where she is?" I shook my head.

"Even if I did, it's confidential information, Atlas." He gave me a slight nod. "Well," I handed the paper back to him, "the work is descent. I can tell you lack understanding of category theory and some aspects of calculus. I could send you some materials to study from. I'd love to help out more but I'm barely able to fit everything in twenty-four hours as it is. Try to go through it after reading the material and then if any further questions form, email them to me." I didn't want to talk to him in person. I didn't like him.