Chapter twenty-two

The moment I reached Nate's door with Luke beside me, I started to feel nervous

The moment I reached Nate's door with Luke beside me, I started to feel nervous. I had no reason not to trust Nathanial. He would be in just as much trouble with Luke if my brother found out.

I knocked twice and opened the door. Nate smiled at me but his face fell at the sight of my brother behind me. I mouthed "sorry" before dropping my bag on the table in front of his desk. Luke closed the door and crossed his arms over my chest as he stared between the both of us.

Nate sat down on the edge of his desk as he crossed his arms and his face was a clear indication he was confused.

"Luke?" He finally broke off the silence. I took out my water bottle after my mouth became dry from the anxiety.

"Are you sleeping with my sister?" I spat the beverage out of my mouth before I began choking on the water. Nate walked over to me and hit my back a few times to help me out.

"Thank you," he gave me a faint smile before he looked back at Luke.

"How dare you accuse me of such a thing?" Nate's tone was probably angrier than I've ever heard.

"I've seen the way you look at her. The first time you saw her at my house you watched her as she walked around the kitchen. You thought I didn't see the way you started shifting in your seat? Like I didn't see the way your eyes looked all over her body?" My heart sank to my stomach.

"Why didn't you say anything then? Why did you let me look at her pretty body? Huh?" My brother clenched his jaw as Nate took a few steps forward. "You act as if you're so damn protective but in reality, you're too scared to tell anyone shit? Who cares that I'm your boss. If I had my eyes on her you should've said something about it." I swear I was basically ready to run towards Luke to stop him from snapping.

"You should've had the decency to look away from her yourself, Nathan." Nate just shook his head.

"Listen, I'm flattered that you think she's warming my bed because it would be truly an honour, but I can assure you I have better things to do than fuck around with girls who are a full decade younger than me." As much as it stung, I knew he was more than fine about being with me. Maybe we both had massive doubts and this might be solely for fun, I know he wouldn't have started it if he wasn't somewhat sure.

"Nate, I swear to gods, if you're covering this up-"

"Luke stop it!" I finally lost it, gaining both of their attention. "Even if there might be some attraction on my end, nothing's happening. Seriously. Do you think I'd risk my career that way?"

"I'm flattered, by the way." I glanced at Nate just in time to see him wink at me. I looked away, trying to hide the butterflies that began to swirl in my stomach.

"I actually have a few questions on a problem so I'd like for you to leave," I said as I looked at Luke. He sighed.

"I'm sorry then. I might have overreacted." Nate scoffed.