Chapter three

I reached my brother's office floor with the elevator and got out when the door opened

I reached my brother's office floor with the elevator and got out when the door opened. The receptionist Angelina greeted me with a smile.

"Hi, Amelia," I smiled.

"Hi. Is Luke still in the meeting?" She looked down at her laptop.

"Yeah. It should finish soon. His office is open. You can wait there," I nodded and walked over to his office. I opened the door, heading inside.

Luke's office was one of the bigger ones here. It had a giant, dark wood desk in the back, two black armchairs in front of it, a sofa on the right-hand side of the door. Bookshelves covered the left-hand side, plants occupied the far right. Across from the bookshelves, a glass board hung on the wall. It was always covered in formulas and words. Economy and shit.

I dropped my bag on the couch, walked over to the desk, and plopped myself down on the most comfortable desk chair I've ever sat on. I swivelled on it, stopping shortly with my eyes on the city view. My phone buzzed. I took it out of my pocket, seeing a message from Rose.

Rosie: where are you?

Amelia: I'm at Luke's. I have a dilemma to talk to him about.

Rosie: I heard the new professor started work.

Amelia: Yeah, no shit.

Rosie: NO WAY!

Rosie: it's the guy from the club!

Amelia: great! Want a medal for that?

Rosie: what is up your ass?

Amelia: I might need to drop his class.

Before I could read her message, the door opened.

"Yeah, my sister's here, so just wait a moment," I heard my brother's voice as he walked in. And the man he was talking to was none other than Nathanial Dalton himself. My eyes widened slightly, his gaze fixated on me as he closed the door. "Hey, Mel," I smiled at Luke. He walked over to one of the armchairs and sat down. Nathanial followed him, sitting down on the other one. His stare burned my skin, in a way that I wanted to break the windows and jump out. "This is-"

"We know each other," Luke looked at Nathanial, surprised at the interruption.

"He's my new professor," Luke looked at me, nodding.

"Got it. What was the thing you wanted to tell me?" I inhaled deeply.

"Nothing interesting. I'll tell you later."

"Is something bothering you, Amelia?" Nathanial's voice sent shivers down my spine. The millionth time.

For fuck's sake.