Chapter twenty-seven

I walked into the cafe wearing my sunglasses from the surprisingly sunny weather

I walked into the cafe wearing my sunglasses from the surprisingly sunny weather. I looked around the place, searching for my coffee date today.

Atlas. I was meeting up with Atlas.

Nathanial almost tied me to his bed this morning to keep me from going but resisted. I spotted Atlas by the window, further away from the door and made my way up to him. His eyes went up to me just as I reached the table. He smiled before standing up and walking up to me. I was expecting a smile hug but was surprised when he placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Hey," he said, my brows still pinched together as he pulled away. Maybe it was slightly too intimate.

"Hi," I smiled at him before taking my brown coat off and setting it down on the back of the chair. He sat down across from me as I set my small bag on the chair next to me. I sat down before finally meeting his eyes. "So, how are you?"

"I'm doing alright. Strange that we barely meet in class." I nodded before looking back to see where the waiter was. This coffee shop was the closest to the school and had become my favourite a long time ago. I looked back at Atlas.

"I was away for the past few days. Personal reasons." He slowly nodded.

"Mr Dalton was gone too. It wasn't very nice since the mid-term is tomorrow and we lost two classes." A young woman with light blond hair, which was braided, approached the table.

"Hey, Amelia." I smiled at the girl. Susanne was the barista I've gone to the past few years. I've never gotten to know her any better than the four walls of this cafe but we've chatted as she made my order. It didn't take much for me to be certain this girl was nice.

"Hi." She looked at Atlas and her smile dropped. She shook her head and looked back at me. "I'll have the regular." She smiled and nodded before glancing back at Atlas.

"And for you?"

"Black coffee." She stared at him for a brief moment before nodding.

"Alright, anything for dessert?"

"No, thank-" Atlas was about to say.

"Actually, do you have your marzipan scones?" She smiled before nodding.

"Just baked." I smiled, getting excited about the most delicious thing I've ever eaten in all of New York.

"Perfect. Do you want one, Atlas?"

"Sure, make that two scones." Susanne nodded and walked back to the bar. "So, what about these scones?" I smiled.

"The first time I got here with my brother, we visited this cafe. It was the first-ever time I ever treated myself with anything because of the financial situation I was in growing up. Back then, Luke wasn't very fond of going out anywhere since his job was his priority and almost bailed on me. The moment I walked into the shop I smelled something so delicious, I didn't think I could ever walk out of here." Atlas smiled. "So I bought two of those scones and every time I'm craving something sweet, I come here."