Chapter sixteen

My eyes widened

My eyes widened. "You..." he placed his hand on my knee, a strangely comforting gesture.

"I didn't kill him." Like that was any better. "Listen-" I stood up from the bed. "Princess-"

"No, Nathanial. What the actual fuck?" Maybe it was the shock hitting me but this was not okay. "Were... did you..." he sighed and sat up.

"I didn't intend it to happen. He got himself into that mess." I planted my hands on my waist as I slowly paced around the room. "Amelia." I glanced at him.

"This is-"

"This is wrong, I know. It happened almost a decade ago."

"So you pay your parents because?" I asked.

"Because my mother doesn't know why and how he died." My mouth opened slightly. "Come here." He held his hand out, palm facing upwards. I hesitated. "Baby, please." For some reason, his voice was low, almost desperate. I stepped toward him, my mind racing a million miles an hour.

I wasn't that shocked that he had to go through something this drastic. After all, he was intertwined with Nico and that never ended well as far as I assumed. The thing that scared me the most was the fact that he might have been the reason for the death. What if he could kill a person this easily?

"Princess, what now?" His hand touched my waist and pulled me onto his lap.

"You killed him." He shook his head before he placed a kiss on my cheek. Another strangely comforting gesture.

"I was there when it happened."

"Why doesn't your mom know?" He's a fucked up man.

"Would you want to know why he died?" I nodded once slowly. I wasn't sure if this was making him uncomfortable but I knew that otherwise he wouldn't have asked me. "He messed with Carlo Caruso. Have you heard of him?" I nodded. He owned a business and actuarial corporation in New York and London. One that many NYU students tried their hardest to get into. As much as the Matrix and Caruso corp. were different businesses, they fought hard against one another.

Sponsors and minds. Two things they both desperately needed.

"He knew Eduardo because of my father. In the same way, I got to work under Eduardo for years. But," he stopped for a brief moment, "he was offered more from Carlo. That made him go behind Eduardo which eventually led to his death." I frowned. Led to his death? "Carlo lied to him."

"What do you have to do with it?" His grip on my waist tightened.

"I knew what Carlo had in mind. I knew he'd trick him. And I didn't tell him. It was my way of sabotaging his career. Just like he tried to sabotage mine." A million questions formed in my head.

"Career?"

"I finished college when I was nineteen. I got an offer from my dream company and he tried to take it. All of my work was about to be taken away because of him. Someone who would've gotten it only with Carlo's help."