Chapter 20. I Have No Idea (David)

(Twenty years ago)

   "I want to stay. Stop pulling me! I'm not leaving." I hear Sarah's yelling as if from far away. There is some commotion around me. The door creaks open and then shuts with a loud thump. She keeps whining. "What's wrong with Davy? Is he going to wake up? I wanna go to him. Let go!"

   "Honey, stop making so much noise," a gentle, female voice is pleading. "Of course, he'll wake up. It was the heat and the excitement. He is sensitive. Children get too nervous sometimes on the first school day after vacation. He'll be alright, I promise, but we need to let him rest for a while. Come on! I'll buy you an ice-cream."

   "I don't want ice cream, mom," Sarah stubbornly protests. "I'll wait here. I want him to see me when he wakes up."

   "Fine," the woman finally sighs in defeat, "but you'll sit quietly. I am sorry, Jenn. I see no other option, but to leave her with you. I really have to run to the office. The meeting starts at two. She can be so difficult sometimes."

   "It's alright, Dee," my mother answers. "Sarah is such a sweetheart. No one loves David more than her and we adore her. Don't worry, I'll make sure she eats lunch. I hope they won't keep us in the hospital. We were good to go right after Davy woke up last time. These episodes look bad, but end quickly."

   "Jenn, I... this is just awful," Sarah's mother mumbles. "You know you can count on us for everything, right? I am sure that all this will be behind you backs soon. It's good, after all, that he doesn't remember..."

   "Heyy, look who just opened his eyes," mom exclaims, heading towards me. Her eyes are puffy and red, but she smiles brightly. Before she can reach my bed, Sarah is already sitting next to me with worried expression. Her hand hesitantly brushes some untamed strands from my forehead and rests om my chest. 

   "Davy, honestly, if you faint again, I'll kick your ass so hard," she squints at me. "No more! It was scary. You were screaming all kind of nonsense. George said you had gone crazy and they would put you in an 'ubstitution'. That schmuck! If you can't bear hot weather, just wear a hat and drink lots of water. I'll make sure we always carry a bottle with us, actually two bottles, or better three."

   "Ok," I instantly agree and smile at her. "I will drink all the water you want. What happened? So, I fainted? In front of everyone?"

   "Yeah, in a really ugly way. Like this." She starts waving her arms and rolling her eyes with her tongue sticking out of her mouth.

   "You look like a drunk monkey," I snort. "I am sure I didn't look like that."

    Sarah purses her lips and pins her eyes on me. "Don't you remember?"

   "No," I shake my head. "We got out of the car. There were lots of people in the yard. That's all. Are we skipping school?"

   "Yeah," she nods enthusiastically. "There was an ambulance. They took you and we had to follow it to the hospital. Mom came too, but I'm not leaving with her. She can't make me."

   "Cool," I grin. "School sucks anyway."

   "It does! Bleah!" She happily confirms. "But I still prefer that you don't do this again."

   "I'm off, Pumpkin," Diana waves from the door. "Get better, Davy."

   "Can I stay for a sleepover at Davy's?" Sarah immediately shoots.

   "Not today, honey. Be good and don't give auntie Jenny a hard time. I'll pick you up at eight," her mother answers and closes the door.

   "We're having a pajama party," Sarah states, as if Diana did not just say no. We both start nudging each other and giggling.

   "I might convince Dee on one condition," mom chuckles. "You two will have to eat a whole family pepperoni pizza and a pint of ice cream for lunch."

   "Yayyy!" we scream to the top of our lungs. 

   "All done!" Dad appears at the door with a bunch of papers in his hand. "Up and go! What did I hear about a pint of ice cream? Not enough. I will eat that on my own."

   "Then we'll have to buy two," mom winks.

   We all head to the parking lot in front of the hospital. I and Sarah are discussing lively weather to watch 'Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone' or 'Jurassic Park' when we pass by a group of people, talking in a foreign language.

   I stop abruptly, gazing at them. A girl notices me soon enough and sticks her tongue at me. Sarah does not waist time and instantly responds with the same.

   "Sei stupida! (Italian: You are a fool!)" the girl shouts, earning harsh reproaches from the man next to her.

   "Davy, move," dad pushes me lightly. "The car is over there. I am sure you both can behave better than this."

   "I didn't understand him," I mumble, surprising myself. I am not even sure where this came from. I only know that it is bothering me terribly. "How are we going to talk, if I don't know his language?"

   "What? Are you too hot again?" Sara bellows, peeking at me fearfully. "Who are you talking about?"

   I am just staring at her in confusion, "I have no idea." 

__________________________

Photo 38183445 © Ponsulak | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of chapter 20.

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Another flashback. Next chapter we're going back to present time.

I am sure you have found more clues about what might be going on.

Do you think Davy is talking about a real person or this is just his imagination?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you feel like.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the chapter.

Thank you!

Love: Anny