A White Wedding

A/N: Heyyyy besties. college shit, life shit. The usual explanation for my few month long disappearance.  here's a request I got in the comments, I can't recall the username but it was a "Soft Davey marriage", so I can only hope I delivered on that. Its been a couple years since the last time I attended a wedding, but I actually did a ton of research on weddings in the early 1900s to see common styles and expectations and such. im sure its all details no one will actually care about, but I do. without further ado- a white wedding. 

-------------------------------------------------------

White clouded my mind.

White frost dusted the ground and trees, small flakes still falling softly outside. Mother said that it was good luck, it meant longevity and happiness. White cake with white frosting filled my mouth with a taste of luxury. White orchids stringing down in a bouquet. Most importantly, a white dress, fitted only for me and my body.

I simply couldn't sleep with all the excitement that took place this afternoon. I looked over to the old clock ticking away in the corner- just before 7 in the morning. I tied the satin robe over my nightie, creeping down the stairs of my childhood home. Not long from now, I'd live in an entirely new house, accompanied by the love of my life. I took a seat at the table, tapping my fingertips on an empty coffee mug, recounting the many fond memories I had of my Davey.

Our meeting was purely coincidental. He and his kid brother, Les, encountered me and my group of girlfriends, trying to sell us newspapers. All of us were giggly messes, noting how adorable the younger boy was, and how charming the older one was. The other girls declined, sending apologies and ruffling the smaller boy's head. I, on the other hand, fished around my school bag, hoping to find a penny lying around leftover from lunch. our hands grazed when he handed me the paper, and from that day on, I made the path a crucial part of my daily routine.

To think that one outing that differed from our usual meetups had led me to the love of my life and the ring that sits atop my finger astonished me. There was no extra time to be astonished today, though. Mother had joined me at the table not long after, bringing the pitcher of coffee over and filling the cup in my hands, and I knew it was time to get ready.

"How are you feeling? No cold feet?"

"Heavens, no. I couldn't be more excited." I replied, not being able to keep the grin from spreading across my face.

It was the truth. I had dreamed of this day my whole life, and even more when I first laid eyes on David. I had everything planned down to the minute, and was so excited to involve everyone in my life. A few aspects of the dream had to be changed, just to fit the budget, but I was still enthralled. Three knocks were laid upon the door, and I knew instantly it was my girlfriends.

"Hello, Bride!" the four of them exclaimed, all of us with far too much energy for so early in the morning. I pulled them in from the snow, hanging their coats on the rack and running back up the stairs with each of them, finally getting ready for the big day.

It didn't take any time at all for papa to wake with us. We were far too loud, laughing and talking and squealing. I think all the neighbors heard us and woke up, whether they liked it or not. I just barely hear him knocking on my bedroom door, making my way through the piles of makeup and hair pins to open it.

"Good morning, baby doll." My father yawns, coaxing me into the hallway for a hug. "What do I need to do, again?"

"I need you to pick up my bouquet from the florist. Oh! And could you make breakfast? I love ma, but I really don't want burnt eggs on my wedding day."

"Of course, y/n. You girls don't have too much fun in there."

My mother had joined us in the bedroom after my father went downstairs, helping everyone with hair and makeup. My matron of honor, Minnie, was helping with my rouge while my ma pinned my hair into the most perfect Gibson girl pin curls. With all the chaos going on, I hardly noticed that it was already noon. Only another couple of hours, I thought, making myself over jubilant once again. It was time for all of us to put on our dresses.