𝟐𝟏 | 𝐄𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬

****************

We walked for a while with not a single soul in sight, which was very handy with Shin-ah's vision. Yet I enjoyed more company on the road, even though he's fairly quiet. While travelling along, I felt myself drift into my own thoughts feeling everyone's voices fading.

This journey is a big change to my life, and I've met good people so far.

"Yumi......Yumi......" someone tugs my arm gently, but soon a little rougher on my sleeve before seeing Hak knocking me out of my own thoughts.

"What?" I shot him a questioning look, when my eyes trail ahead to where his hardening gaze falls upon. My eyes slowly widen seeing how desolate this village was, the earth was dry as can be. No sound was heard of, and the whistling wind echoes through the creaking broken doors and windows.

The place was completely barren, and the homes were barely to ruin.

Soon I glimpse over only to see people lying on the ground in exhaustion, sick or looking homeless. My stomach churns not liking the odds here, but isn't this one of the fire nations villages?

"This village," Yona breathes out.

Yun looks around, "Looks like it's been abandoned, by all the generals and the King," Yun assumes. "There's no irrigation, so all their crops have died."

My teeth clench, "I sense any abled body men would have been taken to the capital," I assume, not wanting to say his name. It made my own blood boil.

It's for King Soo-Won's cause and diseases are spreading so quickly with those who are too weak to leave, and do nothing but die here."

Yun adds.

My chest ached feeling frustrated with how King Il used to rule before, and also angry for Soo-Won pulling more young men into his own battles.

My hand tightens til my knuckles whiten.

"How sad,"

I avert my gaze upon anyone not knowing what to do, nor how to fix this. I am helpless in this situation, but even Yona herself was unsure herself. Soon I place a comforting hand on Yona's shoulder, sending her a warm smile.

"It's hard to watch, I understand," I whisper barely, under my own breathe.

Soon my attention caught Yun running over to an elderly man who was sprawled out on the ground in dry dust, coughing harshly. Yona went to check as well, but Yun stops her.

"No, don't get too close, you could get sick," His eyes narrow down to the old man.

Yona went to protest, when he gives her a stern look in his eyes.

Soon Yun went over bending down with some water and medicine, but we had so little knowing we can't give it to everyone here. "This medicine won't cure you, but it will ease your pain," Yun assures the old man, who was hunch over in pain and exhaustion.

Soon I saw the Princess push forward grabbing the water and helped the man rest up against the wall, holding up the water up to his mouth. She tells him to drink, knowing how she really deeply cares for her people.

Soon the man was finished with the water, clearing his throat.

"Are you from the Capital? From Saika?" The elderly man asks.

I shook my head, "No we're just passing through," Yun replies.

"I see, well then.....have you been to Kuuto recently?" He questions us again. "I heard the old King died and they've already crowned the new one. I hope he turns out better."