Kabanata 29

"Do you want to take him back?"

Natigil ako sa pagbunot ng damo malapit sa kinauupuan ko nang marinig ang tanong na iyon. Marahan kong nilingon si Vier sa aking tabi. Pagkatapos niya akong sunduin sa bahay ni Akihiro ay niyaya ko siyang tumambay muna rito sa burol. I want to at least clear my mind before going home.

I heaved a sigh. I don't want to answer his question. Inilihis ko ang aking tingin. No. I couldn't answer his question.

"How about you, Vier? Do you want to take her back?" Tanong ko na ang tinutukoy ay ang ina ng anak niyang si Xandro.

Nakita ko ang paglamlam ng mga mata ni Vier. Katulad ko'y nagpakawala rin siya ng malalim na hininga. "If you asked me that five years ago, I would've said yes. I loved her."

"And now?"

"You know what's disappointing when you fall in love?" He said, avoiding my question. "It's when you finally realizes it and then boom—everything is gone. She's gone. And I'm here, mourning for the love that died between us."

Umawang ang aking bibig. What the hell? "What do you mean gone? Is she dead?"

Vier smirked. "Sana nga ganoon na lang ang nangyari. Mas matatanggap ko ang ganoong dahilan. But, no. It's only her love for me that died."

Mabilis na inilagay ko ang aking palad sa aking bibig. I don't know what to say. Hindi ba parang sobrang sakit naman ng ganoon? Na huli na ang lahat? Na hindi na pwede?

Just like me and Akihiro.

"And for your question, Mayumi—no, I'm not going to take her back. I realized that I should stop trying. I kept on looking for her, but she keeps on hiding from me. Anong mapapala ko sa taong hindi na ako ang mahal? I was an asshole when she fell in love with me. Siguro ay nagsawa na siya."

I found myself crawling the distance between me and Vier. Pagkaupo ko pa lang sa tabi niya ay kaagad ko siyang ipinaloob sa aking mga braso. He needs a hug. A warm one, to be exact. He always looked so though, but deep inside, he's in pain. "Tell me, why did you suddenly decided to stop looking for her?

Right. What's his reason? He's been looking for his ex-wife for almost six years now. Hindi ganoon kadali na titigil na lamang ito. He has a reason. I know he does. He should.

"I saw them last night. She was smiling. I remember she used to give me those smiles. But last night, it was not meant for me. It's for her new husband and her two kids."

I gasped. Fuck! How could she do that to Vier?! I still doesn't know her or even meet her for even once. But fuck her for hurting Vier!

"How about Xandro? Wala ba siyang balak na kuni—."

"No. I'm taking my son with me. I'm not going to let her have my son, Mayumi. She may have the right to him, but I won't let her and her new family take what's mine. He's all I have." Mariin niyang sabi bago ikinuyom ang kamao.

Oh, really, fuck her ex-wife.

"I must say she's so dumb for leaving a filthy rich asshole husband like you. But I'm trying to understand where she's coming from. She was hurt. Oh, still, fuck her for having a new family while you're trying to fix yourself—everything." Mahaba kong sabi na ikinangiti ni Vier.