Mine<°~Ladynoir~°>

Forever part III

"Are you okay with who I am? Did I disappoint you?" She suddenly asked and his face twisted up.

"What‽ No way. There's no one more perfect who I'd have wanted." He breathed and she nodded. She didn't doubt him, not in any way. She just wasn't entirely sure. How can you love one side of a person and not love the other? It just wasn't possible.

Unless it wasn't real.

There was nothing real between them.

Absolutely nothing.

"I just have a problem with a friend of mine." She brushed it off like it was nothing important and stared back to look at the dark city, illuminated with city lights, the stars also reflecting a softness on the city.

"Just a friend?" She eyed him suspiciously and he quickly corrected, "It's okay if you don't say."

She nodded, "And yes, he's just a friend." By her tone, he could tell that she was going to say more. So he didn't say anything, "He told me he was in love with me."

"And...?"

Oh, he wanted to hear more. Entertaining. "Well, I also realized how unattractive Marinette is without a costume and a mask." She said as casually as possible taking the blonde by surprise, "But you're... I don't understand."

"Can we just patrol now?" The last thing she needed was to bring up the one topic that would make her break down in tears. She made a move to stand up again but he held her down turning himself to face her completely.

He caught on to what she'd meant in her earlier statement. How could she doubt that she was any less perfect even as Marinette? He needed to remind her. Just how amazing she was. With or without the mask.

"M'lady, why would you think that? You're amazing no matter what. With or without the mask." He gave a soft look and clasped her hand tightly in his.

It was comforting but that was not what Marinette needed. She didn't need her breath to be taken away by the loving look in his eyes. Her own feelings were already all over the place. So she kept a straight face, "Don't lie to me, Cat." She looked away, and whispered softly, "My heart can't take anymore."

And now he wasn't even understanding her anymore. Why on earth would she think so little of herself? He propped himself on his knees and placed a hand on the side of her face. Her eyes slowly shifted to meet his. "I've never lied to you."

"I know." She whispered back and for the next beat, they just stared at the other. She wanted to lean closer to his warmth, the green in his eyes so entrancing that she almost felt dizzy.

But everything was wrong. She didn't feel any of that til she knew he was Adrien. It made no sense. Absolutely nothing was making sense.

She finally broke away from his gaze and stood up before he could hold her down. She didn't make any attempt to leave, she just stood, looking down at the city lights. She desperately needed to take her mind off all those feelings, thoughts, dilemmas. But she just couldn't.

He stood as well, not encroaching into her personal space but close enough for comfort.

"You know, this doesn't change anything."

"It changes everything." She still didn't turn around. She didn't need this conversation. Especially now knowing he was Adrien. She did not need it.

But if he was being honest, he just didn't understand her apprehension. Marinette had always been special in her own way and being Ladybug was just a well-deserved bonus. "No, it doesn't. And if anything's changed, it's the fact that my feelings for you are even stronger now."