23.

(author's note: as always comments motivate me to write so please leave me with your thoughts no matter how silly and insignificant)

Yeji woke up in the familiar warmth of her bed. The sound of her mother calling her from the kitchen putting an end to her dreams.

The previous night had been different from the normal, as expected whenever she would spend time with Ryujin.

They had stayed late at Ryujin's clubhouse, talking about random things or silently sitting besides each other. Yeji finding it odd that neither seemed to mind the silence. Nor want to cut the night short.

Eventually they watched a movie, just because neither of them wanted to go home. Yeji falling asleep eventually, and much to her embarrassment.

It must have been past midnight when Ryujin gently woke her up, whispering about how she should get her home. Yeji nearly expressed her disdain for that plan. Much preferring to stay over at the clubhouse. But her brain saved her from saying it out loud. Instead only pouting and following Ryujin's lead.

"I still have your hoodie." Yeji announced, rubbing her eye sleepily as she stood by Ryujin's car. Standing in front of her house.

"I told you, keep it. It looks much better on you anyway." Ryujin responded, offering her a smile and driving off. Leaving Yeji to blush by herself.

So there she was. Waking up the morning after with Ryujin still on her mind. Maybe because for some unknown reason her eyes met the hoodie that belonged to the girl as soon as she sat down on her bed. Or because Yeji had decided to put it on. Or maybe it was because of the smell still on it, reminding her of the older girl.

Or maybe it was the fact Ryujin had made a home for herself in her mind.

"Good morning, ma." Yeji said happily, kissing her mother's cheek.

"Good morning. Why are you so cheerful today?"

"Would you rather I was grumpy?"

Her mother eyed her curiously, while she busied herself pouring a cup of coffee and pouring far too much sugar on it.

"I just want to know the source of all this happiness."

"Maybe I like having breakfast with you, ma."

Her mother didn't seem convinced but smiled nonetheless.

Luckily Hyunjin must have left earlier or had spent the night with Heejin because he wasn't there. Otherwise he might have recognized the hoodie belonging to his best friend and no doubt would have pointed it out.

"I'm leaving tonight, ma."

"Already?"

Yeji nodded, offering a comforting smile to her mother. "My friends want to go shopping before the break is over and insisted I went with. Besides, I need to do groceries. And I was thinking of looking for a job."

"Do you need more money?"

"No." Yeji nearly yelled in response. "I just want to make my own money. Something only for a few hours. I promise it won't affect my school work."

That's what she kept telling anyone who asked. It was only a way to earn money. Only it wasn't. Sure, they money would be nice. But her actual goal was to grow. Or rather, grow up.

Yeji was tired of being seen as a kid who can't provide for herself. She wanted to learn more about life and become more mature.

Especially now that she had made the decision to solve the mystery of Hyunjin and Ryujin. Surely life experience would be helpful. Naive and oblivious Yeji would one day have to die and she was hoping to make that day come as soon as possible.