31: Second Chances

Disclaimer: Do not own any of the Harry potter characters. Or Caitlin or Angelous.

Chapter 31: Second Chances

            "FRED!" I heard my voice rang out as I had collapsed to the floor, next to Fred's motionless body. My mind was spinning, this could not be true, and this could not be real. Fred could not be dead, this had to be some sort of nightmare, and it couldn't possibly be true. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes, as I stared into those ghostly eyes staring up into the dark sky. The moon was shining brightly and everything around me felt like it was muffled. All I could see was Fred.

I could hear my name being called out around me, but I didn't dare look up. I couldn't, if I looked away from Fred... would he disappear?

"Marley! WE have to get out of here!" I heard a familiar voice call out from above me, I knew it was Harry. Percy was lying across Fred's body, I just noticed as it felt like the life had been sucked out of me. I couldn't move... I couldn't speak... all I could do was see Fred lying in front of me, his eyes were void of life, and his ghost like smile still etched upon his freckled face.

It was like images from all Fred's and I's time together was flashing in my mind, all the laughs, all the blushes, all the kisses... Would it ever stop? I wondered as the tears were freely falling down my face, how could I tell Clary? She would be devastated, I couldn't possibly leave like this as I saw Percy had stood up. "ROOKWOOD!" I heard him yell, wand in hand running in the direction of a man... he was probably the one that caused the explosion, but I didn't dare turn around and look.

I felt someone grab my arm as I had glanced at the person to see Hermione, tears running down her face. "We have to go." She said, maybe something in me broke, maybe it was the fact that Fred was there on the ground.... Dead. No I couldn't accept that, he was not dead... he couldn't possibly be dead. I yanked my arm away from Hermione's grasp as I looked from Fred to the others staring at me... they were waiting for me to get up.

"Wait...." I said quietly, I'm not even sure I had said anything. I felt warmth spread through my body as I lay over Fred. I closed my eyes as I tried to listen to the rhythm of his heart beating I heard a little over 12 hours ago. I couldn't hear anything there was nothing, just silence. I could feel myself breaking, I never even properly went to the joke shop with Fred...

And then, very quietly and faintly I heard it. A thump.

I shot straight up as I looked at the boy, his still looked dead, but I had heard a very faint and very quiet heart beat. I knew for sure I did. I looked up at the three people still there. Harry, Hermione and Ron, they probably wanted to get me and Fred's body out of the firing zone, but I couldn't leave, not now. Not when I had made this discovery. "I-I think he might be alive...." I said quietly as I saw them all look at me with sadden eyes, they probably thought I was crazy, they probably thought I still couldn't accept the fact that he was gone. Maybe I couldn't... but I know for a fact that heart beat was real... and I couldn't possibly bring Fred back to his whole family dead... I couldn't, it would break everyone's heart, especially George, Clary and Mrs. Weasley. They would be crushed.

Fred could not be dead. I kept telling myself over and over again as I looked down at Fred, I felt someone grab my arm again, they wanted me to leave Fred. "He's not dead!!!" I yelled out as I felt the broken piece snap again, and then something happened... something I can't even quite explain.