1989: 87. Style

87. Style (11/17/20)

Natalia sat in the pitch black living room, folding her knees on the couch like a child so she could look out the window. It was almost as if she was checking to see if her father would be home soon, but it was anything but. Her neglectful father and ignorant mother were tucked away in their beds, and when she knew they were face asleep, she snuck downstairs to wait for Alec. She had to keep her eyes peeled, since he wasn't driving with headlights; he didn't want to alert her parents.

Natalia adjusted her black skirt, which jutted out at the waist. It came to her mid-thigh, and she felt kinetic energy coursing through her veins whenever she wore it. Her blonde curls reached her shoulders, and she had painted red rogue on her lips. It was Alec's favorite color, so she paired the black skirt with a tight red long-sleeve top under a black jacket. She couldn't help but run her fingers through her hair as she watched the streetlights and looked for his car.

Natalia had to get out of her parents' house. They were driving her up a wall. Always expecting her to make high marks at school and to be on her best behavior, even when she didn't want to be. Her mother was unaware of the fact that her straight-laced daughter was waiting up until midnight to go out with her rebellious boyfriend. If she knew, she would surely have Natalia's head.

She hated playing the role of the "good girl," but it was what she'd been since her youth. Unlike the other children at school, she would always smile and say "please" and "thank you." She lived off showers of compliments and comments, especially the ones that praised her precocious energy. But now she was looking for a way out.

Under the closest headlight, she saw Alec's jet black car pull up to the curb. As quiet as a mouse, Natalia darted out of the house and climbed into her boyfriend's car. It had been months since she had seen him, but it was no one's fault, except her mother's, who insisted they spend the whole summer vacationing with Natalia's aunts, uncles, and cousins. Now that she was back and school had started, she craved to see Alec again.

"I missed you," she said in a sultry voice. "I really did."

Alec ran a hand across his hairline to neaten out the loose ends. He was dressed in his signature white t-shirt under a classic jean jacket, with matching jeans and black sneakers. Natalia saw him smile out of the corner of her eye.

"Tell me where we're going," he insisted, placing one hand on the wheel and the other on her thigh.

Natalia thought over the demand for a moment. The suburb around her was quiet, too quiet. Soon enough, the words were falling out of her mouth: "Take me somewhere where no one knows our names."

Alec nodded before putting the car in drive. The two drove off into the night, using the moon as their guide. All around them, the streets were empty, and hardly anyone was out of their houses until they reached the city. The city lights glowed like Christmas trees, and Natalia felt her heart race. Alec's hand hadn't left her thigh since they started driving.

By the time they reached the club, Natalia could hardly breathe. Her senses were overwhelmed by the bright lights, Alec's cologne, and how close he was to her. As soon as he parked the car, she undid her seatbelt, leaned over the center console, and kissed him on the mouth. He sunk into her taste, placing a protective hand on the small of her back. She could've ripped off all of her clothes at that moment. His other hand slowly traced the inside of her leg, and Natalia could feel herself losing control. Then she kissed Alec one last time, and decided to save herself for later.

The two left the safety of the car and walked into the club. A tall, familiar man acted as the bouncer, and let them in without even asking for identification. Even if no one knew their names here, Natalia knew Alec was there to protect her. His father owned half the clubs in the city, and everyone respected the owner's son.

Alec walked inside with Natalia on his arm, and the bass was booming and bouncing off the walls. Girls in colorful dresses danced in large groups, and gentlemen and suits made business deals at the bar. It was the second time tonight Natalia felt an overload of senses, but this time around, she liked it.

On nights like these, Alec was used to leading, but Natalia knew there was something she needed to discuss with him. She took him by one hand and led him to one of the rooms on the second floor. With its long tables and number of office chairs, Natalia assumed Alec's father used the room for business meetings.

She hoisted herself onto the table and placed her hands on Alec's shoulders, keeping him in place. There was a certain daydream in his eye that she would never get sick of.

When Natalia had returned from her three month vacation with her family, she heard many rumors about Alec spending time with another girl. She and Alec weren't anything official – she playfully called him her "boyfriend" when people brought the subject up – but the rumors still cut her like a knife.

"Alec, tell me the truth," she said, her eyes thin as slits. "Were you seeing another girl this summer, when I was away?"

He flushed slightly. "What you heard is true. One night, I was expecting a call from you, but then I remembered you were out of town and..."

She didn't need words to imagine the scenario. Another helpless girl in need of a night away from her controlling parents had called on Alec. Once she had thought she was the only one, but Alec confided in her that there were other girls who needed his help. Natalia hadn't minded sharing in the past, so she didn't understand why it hurt now.

"Do you forgive me?" Alec asked, even though Natalia hadn't heard an apology. She responded with a kiss, and soon enough, the two of them were lying together on the table, wrapping their arms around each other in tight embraces. Natalia's mouth was on his, and she slowly undid the zipper on her tight skirt. Every article of clothing was removed and placed in a neat pile on the floor. Her face flushed, Natalia let Alec smear her red lipstick as they kissed, and she found herself getting lost in his touch, taste, and smell. Soon she could hardly see, and her whole perfect world shattered when Alec's body was next to hers.