DEBUT: 10. Mary's Song

10. Mary's Song (10/30/20)

"You remember, Mary, right?"

I looked up at my father, who was standing next to me with an arm slung around my shoulder. He hadn't even started working on the truck yet, and his hand and fingernails were caked with dirt. I shrugged off his arm with a giggle and smiled at Mr. Hoffman. "Hello."

"Look how grown up you are!" Mr. Hoffman said, crossing his arms against his chest. He and my dad used to work at the car shop when we still lived in town, but ever since we moved, we hadn't been back in nine years.

Nothing had changed, as far as small towns go. The mechanic shop was still on the corner, next to the gas station. The houses were still stacked next to each other, with little flags and flowers in the garden. We were just visiting for the summer to see my grandmother, who was going on seventy-three. She wasn't doing well, but refused to move into a home. My parents and I had climbed into the car and didn't stop driving until we reached the small town and my grandmother's house.

Mr. Hoffman chuckled, snatching me away from my thoughts. He lifted the hood of the car and started digging around. To no one in particular, he said, "Charlie should be coming back from the store any minute."

Hearing his name again sent a shiver down my spine. When I was seven and he was nine, Charlie and I were best friends. This was mostly due to our parents, who went to high school together, but Charlie and I still got along fairly well. He always used to say he would beat me up if I stepped out of line, but he never went through on his promise. My dad said he was probably sweet on me, but looking back now, his actions were a tad problematic. But we were just kids, and he was probably trying to act tough.

As if on cue, a lanky boy with windswept hair came walking around the side of the truck. Mr. Hoffman stood up to greet him, but I could feel his eyes on me. It was Charlie, all right; I could never forget those caramel brown eyes.

"Charlie, you remember Mary, right?" Mr. Hoffman gestured in my direction, and Charlie's face broke into a grin.

"Long time no see, huh?" He chuckled, sounding just like his father. Charlie had gotten a bit too cute for my liking. "Do you wanna drive to the creek with me later? For old time's sake?"

I nodded, suddenly embarrassed. Charlie shot me one last smile before walking away. I watched him go, his arms full of grocery bags. Just the sight of him made me remember all of our childhood shenanigans. I used to chase him around the yard, daring him to kiss me. But whenever he would get too close, I would chicken out and run into the house for safety. I never thought he would go through with it, except for the one hot summer day we spent at the creek with my grandma. She was busy birdwatching, and when she wasn't looking, Charlie kissed me on the cheek. I let out a holler, loud enough to get both the attention of my grandma and the birds. She had scolded Charlie, but didn't take anything very seriously. Needless to say, we went home right after that.

I let my dad and Mr. Hoffman work on the car, and walked down the road to my grandmother's house. She was asleep, and my mom was out socializing with some of her old friends, so I had a few moments of peace and quiet. Upstairs in my room, I looked for something to wear to the creek. I wasn't sure if we would be swimming or not, so I grabbed an dark blue bikini top and white shorts. My hair was tied back into two braids, just like I used to wear them when I was younger.

I looked at myself in the mirror. If I thought hard enough, I could see a younger version of me staring back. She was innocent, still believing that nothing in this world was out to get her. Wondering if her parents truly thought her and Charlie were going to be together one day. In that moment, their old sayings ("You'll date in a couple of years, I'm sure") seemed to be true.

I left the house then and returned to the mechanic shop. Mr. Hoffman was still working on the truck, while my dad was meeting some of the other employees and customers. Then, in the parking lot, I saw Charlie waiting near his own truck. He waved to me, and my face broke out into a grin.

"Hey," he said. "Wanna drive? You always said you wanted to drive my dad's truck."

Upon closer inspection, I realized Charlie was standing in front of Mr. Hoffman's truck, the one he used to drive when we were younger. He would always take us to little league baseball in this thing. I nodded, accepting the keys from Charlie before sitting behind the wheel.

It was as if I had never left. I could remember all the sharp turns I needed to take to reach the creek. In the passenger seat, Charlie helped guide me whenever I got stuck. In no time at all, I was parking the truck in the grass near the creek.

"Last one there's a rotten egg!" I screamed, slamming the truck door behind me. I raced to the creek, not daring to look back in case Charlie was right behind me. Then, as I reached the edge of the creek, I felt his arms wrap around my waist. I burst out laughing as Charlie threatened to throw me in. I knew he wouldn't, since the creek wasn't that deep.

"Let me go!" I squealed, kicking my legs. He unleashed me, and a part of me was tempted to push him in after all. Instead, I ran right into the creek, splashing him with water.

"Cut it out!" He yelled, following me. We waded in the water, splashing each other until we were both out of breath. Just like that day nine years ago, the water was still and the birds were hiding in the trees. But instead of Charlie kissing me on the cheek, I kissed him on the mouth.

It was only a small kiss, but suddenly I could see everything. With my eyes shut, I pictured a future with Charlie. He would drive me home in the truck. We would fight occasionally, and he would always apologize, even if it wasn't his fault. Then, after a few years, he would get down on one knee and propose. Our ceremony would be at the church. Our mothers would cry, and our fathers would insist that they knew all along that we would wed.

I didn't want to pull away, worried that the memories and predictions would disappear. Fortunately, Charlie wrapped me in his arms and continued to kiss me.