DEBUT: 3. Teardrops On My Guitar

3. Teardrops On My Guitar (11/20/20)

"Is this the book you need?"

I glanced up from the book I was reading to meet Drew's gaze. He was holding up a thick, dusty textbook that hadn't been borrowed from the library in years. The cover had the words "The Regency Period" written across it, which was the topic for my history research paper. I took a few steps towards Drew and accepted the book, trying to ignore the moments when our knuckles brushed.

"Looks like it," I said, flipping through the yellow pages. The font was large - thank goodness - and pictures of nineteenth century outfits and modes of transportation covered the page. "Yeah, this will work."

"What even is the Regency period?" Drew asked, leaning up against the bookshelf. He was a head taller than me, so he had to crane his neck to meet my eye. Instead of answering the question, I thought about how Drew would have to lean down to kiss me, when that day arrived.

"It's a part of British history," I explained, remembering what my AP European History teacher told the class a few days ago. "From 1811 to 1820. It has something to do with who was ruling."

"So you know nothing about it?" Drew asked, and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I picked the period for my research paper because we're reading Pride and Prejudice in English, which was written during the Regency period. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone."

Drew nodded, but I could tell I had lost his attention. He was now staring at a pretty blond a few feet away, who was looking through the World War Two section, which happened to be Drew's favorite era of history. I watched him walk off to talk to the girl, making sure to note that her name was Heather.

I stood against the bookshelf, watching the two of them talk, before making my way to the checkout desk. Drew had offered to come to the library with me during study hall, and I could never say no to him. We had lived on the same street since elementary school, and our friendship slowly shifted into unrequited love. Nowadays, I was lucky enough to get his attention. He was too busy worrying about football scholarships and the pretty girls in our class. If this was a coming-of-age movie, Drew would realize his true feelings for me at the end. But it seems like I still have to wait.

The lady behind the desk stamped the return date in the back of the book, commenting that the last time the book was borrowed was in 1996. I gave her a wry smile before walking out of the library. Behind me, Drew was still talking with Heather.

I climbed into my car, throwing the book on the passenger seat. Drew was supposed to be sitting there, but now I was sure Heather would be giving him a ride home. As for me, I couldn't reach home fast enough. The lights turned green as soon as they saw my car, and I was in my room on my bed in ten minutes.

The library book was on my desk. I couldn't bear to look at it. Did Drew not feel anything when he handed the book to me, and our knuckles brushed? Or has he always seen me as a best friend, a girl who will never be good enough to date? Then I started thinking of Heather, wondering where she fit into everything. I had seen Drew with a few girls before, but none of the relationships lasted for more than two weeks. His past relationships were always with girls from other schools, so the only time I saw them together was on social media. But Drew had started up a conversation with Heather right in front me. After a dull conversation with me about the dumb Regency period - which I was interested in a few hours ago, but now lost its luster - he needed an upgrade. And that upgrade came in the form of blond hair and a sundress.

I turned on my side, noticing the acoustic guitar I had hanging on my wall. I barely touched it, so the top was covered in a thin layer of dust. But in this moment, I knew I needed to put my thoughts to paper and play something. I pulled myself off the bed and grabbed the guitar off the wall, placing the instrument on my knees.

My fingers brushed over the strings, creating an organized sound. Then I started strumming and singing whatever phrases came into my head. The whole creative process was fueled by the images of Drew and Heather, and the boy who will never know my true feelings. As I sang, the words seeped out of me like water from a sponge. By the time I was finished playing, my fingers were raw and my face was red.

The next day at school, I couldn't think about what had happened. Drew wasn't in the same classes as me, so the only time we saw each other was in the hallway or study hall. I knew I couldn't wait until study hall to see him; it was the last class of the day. But the homeroom period was spent voting for homecoming queen - Heather's name was on the ballot - and I was too worried about my test in chemistry to wonder when I was going to see Drew.

Then, as I was leaving my accounting class, I spied his familiar spiky brown hair. But when the crowds parted, I realized the truth. Drew had his arm around Heather's shoulder, and the two were talking with their friends. He wasn't even thinking about me. I tried to advert my eyes, so it wouldn't hurt as much, but someone called my name, and I was forced to look up. My eyes went right to Drew, who was kissing Heather on the lips. I almost gagged, and the person who had called my name was gone.

With only two periods left in the day, I decided to stay at school instead of running to the parking lot and driving home. I passed my chemistry test, and spent all of study hall reading my Regency textbook instead of searching for Drew like a lost puppy. If he wanted to find me, he could put in the effort.

When the final bell rang, I drove home, not bothering to wait for Drew and see if he wanted a ride. Later that night, I played the guitar again before climbing into bed. The words came easier tonight, the image of Drew kissing Heather burned into my head. When I was finished playing, I returned the guitar to the wall and brushed away tears.

I tried to drift off to sleep, but every time I shut my eyes, all I saw was the two of them together. It made me sick and angry and upset to think about. I couldn't believe I spent all these years pining after Drew, just for him to throw it all away and decide to be with some other girl. At that moment, I realized I would never get my fairytale ending.

I turned over in bed to look at the wall. My phone was sitting on the windowsill, charging. I unplugged it and went right to social media, out of habit. I didn't have any pictures of Drew saved, but he posted frequently on his account. Sure enough, there was a picture of him and Heather at some sort of bonfire. I had not been invited.

I shut my phone, promising to not look for Drew's photo ever again.