RED: 57. State Of Grace

57. State of Grace (12/27/20)

The streets were busy, but Daphne and Alan were able to walk hand-in-hand down the sidewalk. A few impatient people glanced at them, wondering why on earth they would insist on walking next to each other when the streets were so busy, but the two lovebirds ignored the critics. They glanced at each other before walking into a used bookstore, one that opened a few days ago.

"It's not very busy," Daphne muttered once they walked inside. The only person inside the used bookstore was the woman behind the counter, and even she looked bored. A small, white cat was curled up next to her as she turned the page in the romance novel she was reading.

Daphne was hoping to find a novel she had been searching for. Alan, on the other hand, made a beeline towards the psychology textbooks, which was what he was currently studying in school. Daphne smiled at him before grazing the shelves in search of the novel.

After each unsuccessful attempt, Daphne made sure to look up and find Alan, in case he had wandered off without her. She didn't think he would leave without telling her, but there was always a feeling of foreboding in her stomach. She wasn't sure why, but she always believed Alan was upset with her, even if she did nothing wrong. It was that anxiety-induced feeling that all your friends hate you, when the truth is anything but. Even though Daphne tried to convince herself that Alan loved her, she couldn't stop the feeling of worry in her stomach.

She had reached the final shelf, which sat on a ledge at the back of the shop. Most of them were classics, some written by Charles Dickens or the Brontes. Then Daphne's eyes found the book she was looking for. She had struggled to remember the title a few weeks ago, so she had scoured the internet in search of the name. All she had was "nanny falls in love with the widower dad," which of course gave her many different results. But she finally found Sarah, Plain and Tall, a book her and her mother had read when she was younger. The thin paperback was marked with a "two dollar" sticker, and Daphne knew she had to have it.

"Alan?" She whispered, trying not to alarm the woman and the cat behind the desk. Her boyfriend poked his head out from behind a shelf and waved. He held up two paperback textbooks and asked, "Ready to go?"

Daphne nodded. The two met up at the register and purchased the two books, then returned to the busy street, hand-in-hand.

Daphne woke up drenched in sweat. She felt out of breath, as if someone was trying to smother her in her sleep. She ran a shaky hand across her brow before covering her face with her hands.

Daphne had tried countless times to forget about Alan, the boy she had dated her senior year of college. But she couldn't stop the memories that haunted her in her sleep. They came when she least expected, creeping up on her until all that was left was a broken heart.

Daphne let out a whimper before pulling the blanket farther up her chest. Her body was clammy and covered in cold sweat, but the blanket kept her safe, as if the dreams and memories would attack her body.

She tried to shut her eyes and sleep, but all she could see was Alan's handsome face. After the breakup, she had blocked him on social media, so she wasn't sure what he looked like now. She hoped he was still handsome, even though she knew his good looks could charm any young woman.

A single tear fell down her cheek and soaked into the pillow. Before she knew it, she was blubbering, and her pillow was drenched in tears and sweat. At the end of their breakup, Alan had grabbed her heart from her chest and broke it into two pieces. He had done it without a thought in the world, but it had left Daphne scarred and bruised.

When they were together, Daphne believed Alan was the one. They had met each other's parents, and her mom and dad approved. She wondered when they would move in together, and dreamed of how Alan would propose. They had only been dating a year, and yet Daphne wondered what their kids would look like and where they would live. She didn't even have a job, and Alan was hoping to study psychology at grad school.

That day at the bookstore, the event from Daphne's dream, she had thought Alan was her person. They would grow old together, raise a family, get married, and fall endlessly in love with each other. But her fears always came creeping in, the fear that Alan despised her but refused to say anything. Daphne had struggled with communication in her previous relationship and wondered if her current relationship was suffering as well. But she and Alan were able to share their secrets, hopes, and beliefs, so she knew he couldn't possibly hate her. Until her world came crashing down.

The day at the bookstore had been their last date before the breakup, and Daphne wondered if that was the reason why it haunted her dreams. A few days later, Alan had called to ask if they could talk. She had met him at his house, where he confessed his true feelings. His relationship with Daphne was never meant to be anything serious. He hoped to sleep with her a few times, and then leave her for the next girl. But when Daphne suggested they start dating, Alan knew she had grown too attached. He decided to give the relationship a try, until his hatred towards Daphne only grew. But by the time Alan had realized his true feelings, Daphne was already in love with him.

She turned over in bed, trying to block out the memories. If she couldn't think of anything else, she would remember the happy day at the bookstore, when she and Alan walked hand-in-hand, and she bought Sarah, Plain and Tall. The used bookstore had gone out of business two months later, and the memory of the day brought tears to Daphne's eyes.