1989: 85. Welcome To New York

85. Welcome To New York (2/17/21)

"There it is!" Bri squealed, placing her face on the window glass like a spellbound child. "There's the sign!"

Kit, who was a bit too busy navigating the busy New York streets and intersections, glanced at her friend and the aforementioned sign out of the corner of her eye. On the bright blue billboard read the words "Welcome to New York: The Empire State!" Kit chuckled before taking a sharp left turn. It would be another half hour before they reached the city, but she could tell that Bri was on the edge of her seat.

The two girls, as Pennsylvania natives, had always been interested in the large city and what it had to offer. Kit studied New York fashion week, looking for the trends and designers each year and wondering what it would be like to attend the event in person. Bri, on the other hand, had gone through a theater kid phase without ever acting in a show. Then she started taking singing lessons and was convinced she would be onstage one day. If the plan failed, she could always search for jobs at some of the tourist singing restaurants downtown.

Kit tried to remember why they were here in the first place as she took turn after turn, following the GPS' instructions. It was the summer before college; she would be off studying fashion and business marketing, studying abroad in Paris, while Bri's parents were making her study communications for a broad job market, despite her interest in singing. The summer was going well, and both girls were looking forward to their different college plans, until heartache snuck through the door.

Kit and her boyfriend had been dating for two years. He wasn't the nicest boy, but he was good-looking and good in bed, two factors that drew Kit towards him. She was the one to end the relationship following graduation, but the same could not be said for Bri, who was still wallowing in self-pity after the breakup with Rod. Rod played for the baseball team, was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and wanted to be a baseball coach or player. Everyone told Bri that she was too good for him, that she should either break up with him or search for someone else. These rumors got to Rod's head, leading him to break up with Bri only a few days ago.

She had called Kit, her words drowned out by tears. "It's...terrible! He...he broke up with me!"

Kit tried to console her friend over the phone to no avail. As they spoke, a plan started to form in her brain. She remembered the way New York City had enticed them ever since middle school and wondered if they could drive up for the weekend. Her schedule was free, and now that Bri was without a boyfriend, she assumed her weekend was free as well.

"Bri!" Kit yelled, trying to stop her friend's tears to get a word in. "I have an idea. Do you wanna go to New York City this weekend?"

This silenced Bri, and the girl agreed to the plan. The two drove up and reached the city by mid-morning. Kit took another right turn and found that they were blocks away from Times Square. At a stoplight, she had Bri search for a hotel they could stay at.

The towers stood like giants around them, and Kit was sure the city would be aglow by nightfall. She followed the directions on the GPS and pulled into a parking lot. As they climbed out of the car, the two girls stayed close together, hoping no one would see them and try to attack. They each carried one suitcases and a purse filled with cash for the weekend getaway.

"I needed this," Bri muttered with a sigh before entering the hotel. It was much nicer than Kit expected and surprisingly affordable. Then again, the cute receptionist behind the desk must have assumed they were older than they were and gave them a generous discount.

Up in their rooms, Kit and Bri peeled open their suitcases and began unpacking. All their clothes went in drawers, along with their past heartbreaks and heartaches. As Kit organized her clothes, she could tell her friend was still thinking about the breakup. She didn't know how to get Bri's mind off it.

"Hey, why don't you pick where to eat tonight?" Kit asked from the bathroom. She was fixing up her eyeliner, wondering why Bri wasn't pitying her and her breakup. Maybe it was different because she had broken up with the aforementioned ex-boyfriend. But that didn't mean she didn't miss him every now and then. She had not realized Bri was as attached to Rod as she was until now.

"Aww, thanks," Bri said, grabbing her purse and slinging it over her arm.

Kit switched off the light in the bathroom and replied, "Then you can forget about that stupid ex-boyfriend of yours."

A small part of her hoped the statement would be a throwaway line, but it clearly stabbed Bri in the chest. She stood tall, staring down Kit with glassy eyes.

"What did you say?"

The broken pieces lay on the floor, and Kit was trying to clean them up. "I just mean...Rod didn't deserve you. You're so much better than that whole relationship, and he isn't worth your tears."

"You called him stupid." Bri's words were like ice. "He's not stupid."

"He's a little stupid," Kit muttered much too loud.

"Kit, don't say that!" Bri crossed her arms against her chest. "I loved Rod. And I thought we weren't gonna talk about him this weekend!"

Before Kit could try and take back what she said, Bri was running out the door and down the hall. By the time Kit looked out the door, her friend was hopping on the elevator.

She took a moment to reflect on the situation. The words shouldn't have left her mouth, but another part of her thought that Bri deserved to hear them. She decided at that moment to give Bri a half hour, and then she would go looking for her. Then the situation dawned on her; they were two young girls in New York City. Bri could not be left alone in such a fragile state.

Kit grabbed her coat and raced down the hallway and towards the elevator. She skipped the car, figuring it would be easier to find Bri on foot. Her friend could not have gotten far in ten minutes.

Outside the hotel, the city was starting to come alive as the sun set. Kit looked all around her, and soon a deep free was setting in. Would Bri return to the hotel? What if she got lost? What would Kit say to Bri's mom to explain the situation?

Kit pushed past tourists and city natives before realizing she was close to Central Park. Bri had to be around here somewhere. As she reached the grassy terrain, she found a tall, dark-skinned girl with black hair and a black coat. It could be any other woman, but it could also be Bri.

"Bri?" Kit whispered. The girl turned around, her eyes welling with tears.

"I'm sorry, Kit," she replied, wrapping her in a hug. "I shouldn't have done that."

"I'm sorry for what I said," Kit said, her words muffled because of Bri's hair. The two girls stayed wrapped in the hug for a few moments longer. The city around them watched.