FOLKLORE: 132. Peace

This story is a continuation of the story for The Lakes.

132. Peace (11/8/20)

Naomi was driving fast, a bit too fast for Addison's liking. She held onto the dashboard for dear life, holding back a nervous chuckle. They had been able to leave their townhouse without anyone seeing, but they had made the mistake of taking Addison's car. It was a bright orange Volkswagen Bug, and most notably, Addison had used it in one of her photo shoots to advertise "The Girl Who Came First." Photographers and reporters were sure to notice the car driving down the highway. It wouldn't be long until people were following them.

Naomi must've noticed how worried Addison had become, so she slowed down and turned on the radio. She made sure to choose the instrumental channel, so as not to bring about the controversy with their name on it. Addison began drifting in and out of sleep as she relaxed in the passenger seat.

She began thinking about last year's Oscars ceremony, the one where she was up for Best Actress. Her acting career had been doing well up to that point. It started with her featured role in "Rich Girls," where she played the socialite Mimi. The role wasn't large (the film starred Hailee Steinfeld and Florence Pugh, two actresses who regularly worked with the director, Olivia Wilde) but critics still praised Addison's comedic timing and good-looks. The film was about Steinfeld and Pugh's characters, who became friends in college but are now returning to Pugh's hometown which is, you guessed it, full of rich people. On their vacation home, they attend a high school party hosted by Mimi, Addison's character. She was only in a few scenes, but got to act alongside Steinfeld and Pugh, and was also given a handsome on-screen boyfriend to kiss.

When "Rich Girls" came out, critics loved Steinfeld and Pugh's chemistry, but were also interested in seeing what newcomer Addison Pike was going to do next. Her agent tried to convince her to accept television roles, but Addison wasn't ready for the small-screen yet. She was handed smaller roles in an indie thriller and a small coming-of-age flick, but neither received much traction. Then, she agreed to do television. Her next project was an eight episode mini-series on Netflix called "Missing." Addison played the role of Maddie, who's accused of killing her best friend after the friend is decreed missing. When she first read the script, Addison believed the concept was a bit worn-out; she had seen it done a million times. But then the project changed writers, and the whole show improved thanks to the brilliant writing and performances. Addison starred alongside Henry Golding, who played the detective, and another up-and-comer named Kira Chang, who played Addison's best friend. The show was critically acclaimed, and Addison received her first Golden Globe nomination. That night, after downing two shots of tequila, Addison's name was called for "Best Actress in a Limited Series." She had won her first Golden Globe, and a few months later, received an Emmy nomination for the role.

It was there that she met Naomi, who was a caterer at the event. When the two met in the bathroom, Naomi explained that she wanted to be a singer, but was working at the catering company while she waited to hear back from different record companies. Since tequila was coursing through Addison's veins, she announced that Naomi was "her best friend in the entire world" and the two decided to keep in touch.

But, as it turns out, having any sort of relationship as a celebrity was tricky. Addison was being followed home by numerous photographers and reporters, and everyone was curious to see what she was doing next. Rumors spread that she would be in the next James Bond film, while others believed she was finished with acting. Despite her increasing number of followers, no one seemed to pick up on her relationship with Naomi. What started as a friendship slowly morphed into a romantic relationship, and Naomi and Addison moved in together six months after meeting at the Golden Globes. She was finally working on her music, and Addison received a few different scripts and offers every week.