CHAPTER 10

She holds me tight as she pours out her grief on my chest. I so badly want to take away the pain she’s feeling right now but I cant. The only thing I can do now is to be there for her and help her through her grieving period and put the rest of the stuff on hold and focus on her. She has fallen asleep now and my shirt is wet. I gently move her to sleep comfortably. I slowly get off the bed and cover her with a blanket that’s on the chair folded. I take off my suit jacket, wear my shows and leave the bedroom. I am not surprised to find Kane, Calvin and Jane. I thought the whole family would be here since they sometimes can cross boundaries. There’s food on the table too. They must have brought food from the funeral.

“ Thanks for bringing the food. She’s going to wake up hungry.”

“ How is she? ” Kane asks.

“ it’s going to take some time for her to heal.”

“ sir we came with her clothes. We found her cousin going through her things. ” Jane says.

“ didn’t her uncle ask where she is?”

“ no sir they didn’t. We told him are coming here to look for her and. He didn’t care. ” Calvin informs us.

“ The funeral is over and so is the act of pretending like he cares. ” Kane says. Hmmm.

“ I’m going to make a call.” I step out of the house and call her uncle’s number.

“ hello? ” he answers

“ Gumbi unjani? ”

“ Oh I’m fine Ntanzi despite the circumstances. Today has been hard for all of us. ”

“ especially for amahle. ”

“ Yes, yes of course my poor niece.”

“ I was calling to ask if maybe she’s needed for the cleansing? ”

“ yes she is. We have decided to have it this afternoon so she can leave cause sure she wants this to be over as soon as possible.” Or he does.

“ Do you know where she is now? ”

“ Uhm ”

“ You really don’t care about your niece. You haven’t even noticed that she’s not there with the rest of you.”

“ my daughter wanted to come and look for her but amahle's friends d said she left with you so I knew she was safe. ” he says with his voice a little shaky.

“ I’ll bring her once she’s done packing her brothers clothes.”

“ please do.” I hang up.

Now that the funeral is over, it is pretty clear that amahle’s uncle wants to be done with her. I don’t know if it’s the guilt of what he was doing to her and now seeing her is making him uncomfortable because he doesn’t know if amahle will say something or not. Fact is he won’t know what hit him.

A car stops outside the gate and her fake friend steps out. I saw that man at the funeral. He must be her father. He raises his hand greeting me and I do the same then he drives off. The girl walks in with a huge smile on her face.

“ Hi. We haven’t been properly introduced. I am Phelisa. Amahle’s best friend ” she sticks her hand out for me to shake it.

“ What are you doing with phakiso? ”

“ what?.... Uhm I didn’t know that you two knew each other ”

“ I asked you what are you doing with him? ”

“ he’s a friend… well maybe more than ” stupid girl doesn’t realise that much cousin used her to do his dirty work.

“ was it your idea or his to take amahle from the boutique? ” she looks down. “