Forty-Eight

"HOW DO YOU WORK THIS THING?" Dex screamed, frustrated. "And how do you read this stuff? This looked like it came from the Forbidden Ci- oh wait. It did! That's why..."

Sophie facepalmed. At this rate, they'll need at least another month to find Grady.

Grady, Sophie thought, I really, really hope you're alright.

Sophie sighed. "Here, I got it."

Dex handed it to her, and a few seconds later she got the metal detector up and running.

"I still have no idea why it's in the human language but this advanced version was made in the Lost Cities." Dex muttered, and sighed.

"So in what range do you think he is? And what will we do if we find him? We don't necessarily have a bunch of tools and stuff to dig them out of whatever. Oh, wait! Tinker has a lotta that stuff." Dex said excitedly, louder.

"Looks like someone recognized their girlfriend's tools," Keefe coughed and snickered while Fitz was trying to hide his smile.

"I'm pretty sure they said it was within the Lost Cities," Biana said.

"Well, thanks, now that narrows it down to one whole universe to look through. Any more helpful ideas?" Keefe asked sarcastically.

"They said it was a twenty mile radius of here," Sophie said.

"And we could use Sophie to sense if there's anybody underground. Ack, that sounds wrong." Tam said.

"Y'all, I actually feel like this is coming together! Am I the only one that feels this way?" Keefe exclaimed.

No one answered him. "I take that as a yes. You guys are the worst friends E-V-E-R! I should get some new ones. Well, Foster's a pretty nice friend. I could disown the rest of you guys though. Especially Biana." Keefe said the last part to himself, but Biana heard it just fine. She pretended to ignore him.

"Well, no one's stopping you! Want me to show you to the door? It's right there," Tam said, pointing to the door.

(A/N: I feel like Tam actually wants Keefe to leave LOL.)

"You know what? I guess I'll just deal with you guys. Pretend I never said anything." Keefe chuckled nervously.

"Hey, Dex?" Sophie asked.

"Yes! That's me. I'm so so in love with Tinker," Keefe squealed, mimicking in Dex's voice.

Dex just elbowed Keefe. Hard.

"Yeah?"

"Are there any more trackers? We'll need some more to cover more land in less time." Sophie told him.

"Well, you see, our very smart genius Foster, you seem to be the only one that knows how to use these things, so unless we can make a clone of you or whatever humans call them, and I really don't want to, we won't be able to 'cover more land in less time.'" Keefe said all in one breath.

"Maybe she could teach us," Tam said, "and how hard can the human language be, anyway?"

"Oh, you don't get to be the president of the Foster Fan Club without earning it, dummy. For one, we'd waste more time on teaching you than actually trying to find Grady. By the time we find them, if we find him, he's probably be a pile of bones." Keefe told Tam. He looked at the expression on Sophie's face and said, "Dang it. I shouldn't have put it that way. Let's just say... we might be too late."

Sophie nodded. "You're taking those words right from my heart," she joked.

"And the 'human language' isn't as easy as you think. Just get me a few more trackers and some rope. I'll get the trackers running. All you have to do is hold it close to the ground, and if it beeps there's something. If not, leave it alone." Sophie told everyone.

Everyone nodded until Linh asked, "Rope? Are we fixing on strangling someone?"

Tam facepalmed. "I don't think so. If it includes strangling, then I'm in. If not... I'm still in."

"Just leave a little bit of rope wherever there's metal. I'll just walk around the area to see if I can sense somebody. And Dex, when you're at Tinker's make sure to get something sharp to cut the rope. We'll need a couple of everything." Sophie replied. Everyone agreed.

"Dex, Keefe, and Linh will go to Tinker's place to get supplies, and Fitz, myself, and Tam will search around here with the one we have. After we've regrouped, we'll pair up so it's faster. Questions?" Sophie told everyone.

No one spoke, and Sophie took it as no one had any questions.

Keefe pretended to wipe a tear. "My Foster's growing up." He sighed. "Try not to miss me too much," and with that, he left with Dex and Linh.

Sophie scanned the tracker everywhere in a circle around her.

Nope, nothing around here. She continues to repeat the same thing until Keefe, Dex, and Linh glittered back.

"Got it all?" Sophie asked them. "Yep," Dex replied.

They split up in pairs - Keefe and Fitz (which they both complained about not going with Sophie, by the way), Tam and his sister, and Dex with Sophie.

Sophie said, "I feel something. Over there," she pointed over to the area where Keefe and Fitz were looking/ goofing around.

"Uh, guys. I think we found something." Keefe called, his voice nervous.

Everyone came up to them and saw the same dwarf they saw Grady with the other day, dead.
_________

The cliffhangers are back!

But don't worry, you won't have to worry about them much longer because this book will have exactly six more chapters. Yes, I planned it out. And here's some spoilers. Well, not for the book. But how I'm dividing these parts up.

You see, I want to end the book the way I want it to end, not make the Flashback cliffhanger ruin it. So the epilogue will connect it to Legacy, but I'll have the last chapter end my way.

And that means five more chapters plus epilogue left. I am so, so grateful that you guys went on the Journey of Impossible with me. It means a lot, and I hope you continue to join me for my other book - We the Weirdos. But beware: it can cause uncontrollable laughing, plus unbearable cliffhangers.

Sorry (not sorry).

Thanks for making it to this point, buddy, and I love you very much. On my birthday, I'll reveal my age and I actually want to see if the writing is good for my age. *smiles because the colon plus parentheses in this font is just plain creepy*

Don't forget to comment, vote, and share! Even when this book is finished, I'll treasure every single comment and vote like I do now.

Love you guys.

Have a nice day.

Somerandomhuman88