Ch 7: A Colourful World

Robin POV

Robin: "Here you go ma'am." I say as Scarfy hands a woman a bag filled with an assortment of breads.

She stares in amazement as she watches my scarf move then she pays and thanks me for her bread.

Robin: "Melissa, you're not allowed to just take the bread from the display case." I say as I turn to the black and white haired girl who was trying to sneakily steal some honey bread balls.

She freezes as her hand is half way inside the case. Marie giggles as she watches us from one of the tables.

Marie: "Oh just let the girl have some treats, I don't see the harm." She says with a grandmotherly smile.

Melissa turns to me with a blank face that clearly begged 'Please'. This specific blank face of hers was her version of the puppy-dog eyes. With a sigh I give her the go ahead.

As she shines a bit brighter she snatches some of the bread and places it on a plate she grabbed from the backroom. She proceeds to bring the plate and takes a seat at the table with Marie.

She enjoys her treat while Marie watches her with a smile. I stand up straighter as another customer walks into our little bakery.

Today was the day after I fully accepted the girl named Melissa as 'Melissa'. It was the afternoon, a little bit after we got her new clothes.

Shopping for her clothes took a while because she refused to take off my black and white hoodie in the store. She only relented after I convinced the store clerk to let me change her in the changing room.

I managed to convince them we were siblings by comparing our blank faces. We must've look more similar than I thought because it only took ten seconds for the clerk to look at us and believe the lie.

In the end Melissa decided on a bright red and blue hoodie over top a white shirt with a black skirt. She also wore black knee socks with white stripes at the top and simple black doll shoes.

Finally all of her undergarments that she chose were black and/or white, although she insisted on trying them on by herself. I didn't quite understand why though, I helped her change into everything else so why not those?

In the end we got her new clothes and she seemed to like them. She told me that her favourite part about them was the bright colours. Even though most of what she wore was black and white.

Walking to the clothing store then to the bakery gave me a chance to observe Melissa. Compared to the day I first met her, her empty gaze was replaced by eyes filled with interest. She focused more on her surroundings than my eyes, she looked around as if she was seeing the world for the first time.

Then we got closer to Marie's bakery. Melissa's blank face lit up when the scent of fresh bread filled her nostrils. As we neared the bakery Melissa tugged on my sleeve.

Robin: "You want to go in there?" I ask in my monotone voice.

She vigorously nods her head. Then it clicks in her head that I still need to go to work. She lets go and stares at Marie's bakery longingly.

Robin: "That's where I work." I point out much to her delight.

Her face lights up again and she walks the rest of the way with a skip in her step.

As we walk through the door of the bakery we see Marie at the register with a surprised look on her face.

Marie: "And who have you brought with you deary?" She asks me.

Robin: "I'd have assumed you already knew." I say blankly.

Marie: "Oh ho? So this is the one hmm?" She asks teasingly.