35: Bem-vindo a casa

bem-vindo a casa; welcome home

^^^Thats Hope^^^

____________

Five years later...

Gawd, she looks just like her father when she draws. So focused, with their similar bluish-green eyes, the crinkle in their eyebrows to engrave every single detail. Her art is not as deep as her father's but she has potential.

"Is that him," she asked me when she heard the knock at the door. "Let me check. Fique dentro," I told her. She nodded and went back to drawing. I left her room and headed to the front. Carlos was pulling up in the car he brought with my money.

"Did you find it," I asked him. He looked hesitant while getting out of the expensive car, mini Carlos following him. Carlos had a kid with a witch named Lucas. He's quiet but a pain in the ass. "Irmão, please. After all this time we're this close to getting him back. I found a cure for Freya's poison. I got a witch to siphon Rebekah's hex--"

"So you're really gonna do it. Cure them and then wake them up. Did you ever stop to think that you and Hope might be better off--"

"Carlos," I warned. "You found six out of the seven of the werewolf packs. The last one-- the Malraux-- I thought they'd been killed off. According to this, there might be one left," Carlos said. I went to take the paper but he snatched it back, making me huff. "Be careful, irmão," he teased.

"I'm not your brother, you piece of shit. Hayley and I--"

"I'm already on it," Hayley said, coming out of nowhere. She took the paper from Carlos and got into her truck with the bodies and left. "She misses Elijah more than she'd like to admit," Carlos said. I looked at him and popped him in the head. "Aye, não. You have mamãe's grip already. I hope you don't hit Hope with that hand," He hissed slowly walking towards the house.

"You're not staying here," I called out. "Oh, what was that? Is that Hope calling her favorite tio--"

"That's just because you're her only one right now," I said as he disappeared into the house. I followed after him. "Hope! Lucas! Hora do almoço. What do you want to eat," I called out through the house.

I heard her silent footsteps coming down the stairs as I made my way to the kitchen with Carlos and Lucas. Once she stepped into the kitchen she smiled and hugged Carlos and then Lucas. "Aren't I your favorite tio," Carlos asked. "I can't answer that. It wouldn't be fair to my other uncles that I have not met," she told him and he frowned.

"I promise, filha. I will wake your family within the week. If you stay on your best behavior, sim," I told her. She questioned me with a look before nodding. She knew behavior had nothing to do with it.

"So what do you want to eat," I asked her. "Chicken strips and french fries," we all said together. "Uh, I cooked last night. You mind cooking today," I asked Carlos but he looked at the seven-year-old and the five-year-old. "They can't cook," I said.

"They have magic. They might as well use it. You'll be using this spell for the rest of your life, kiddo," Carlos flicked her forehead before leaving the kitchen.

"He's not a very good tio, is he," I whispered to her. She smiled and nodded to the obvious answer.

...

"Por que você está me olhando? You want some," I asked her. I was having a midnight snack since human food didn't do much to fulfill me when my nerves are bad. "Ewww, no. Mamãe, it's 2 in the morning. Why are you still awake," Hope asked me with her blanket wrapped around her. She was a smart kid. "I'm waiting for your dad to get home," I told her, spectating her expressions.

She looked kind of awkward. "H-he's coming home," she asked. "C'mon here," I patted to the seat beside me. "Yeah. And so is your Tio Elijah, Kol and Tia Rebekah, and Freya. Our family is coming home. Hayley is going to bring them home tonight. So go to bed and you'll see them in the morning," I told her. "Okay. Boa Noite," she said.

"Goodnight, Hope."

She curled up beside me and rested her head on my lap. I ran my hand through her dark blonde hair. I gradually felt the weight of sleep overcome my eyes just as I heard a car pull up in the driveway.

...

"Ow, ow, ow, owwww," I whined as I felt Hope poking my stomach. "I was being gentle," she cried out hysterically. "There's precious cargo in here," I told her as I sat up from my uncomfortable position on the couch. "You're pregnant," Carlos yelled from behind me, causing me to jump. "Noooo," I squinted my eyes at him.

"Momma, there's a bunch of strangers on the porch," she whispered to me. "Wha--"

"Your husband and his merry lot of immortals are blocking the exit," Carlos said as he sipped some coffee. My eyes widened and I ran to the window. I could hear Kol complaining. "Hey, uh, kiddo. Go and freshen up so you can paint outside today," I said, peering out the window. I heard run up the stairs quickly.

I turned to Carlos in a hurry. Then I ran upstairs. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, ate some gum, and cooked Hope breakfast in a matter of an hour. I waited for her as she finished her breakfast at the door. "Are you ready to meet the rest of your deluded family," I asked her with a smile. She nodded shyly. "C'mon."

I slowly opened the door just as Klaus stopped yelling at his siblings. I've missed the sound of his voice. "Everybody, look who's awake," Hayley said, grabbing their attention. They all stood and watched both of us. That'll make a girl nervous.

Klaus locked eyes with me first. Holy fuck, his hair. His eyes scanned me as I bit my lip. I had to resist every instinct to jump on him right now. Then he turned to Hope. "Hello," she said sweetly. He looked just as nervous as her. "Hello," he said. "Mamãe, can I go play in the garden," she asked me. "Yeah. Go ahead," I said. She's acting innocent now, but just you wait. She ran off.

Once Klaus and I were alone on the porch I had gotten nervous. "W-What did you tell her," he asked me. "I told her that you're a hybrid like Hayley. I also told her that you're very old. Other than that she's seven, we can wait to share the gory details," I said. "Well, someone must have disparaged me. Perhaps that brother--"

"Stop. I've spent four years protecting her from everything including all the horror stories floating around about you. She doesn't know your history. What she does know is that you protect your family no matter what," I said. "And yet she fears me."

"She is a sensible kid. She feeds off your energy. And you're not exactly calm right now. Go on. Talk to her. Then you can come talk to me."

"Right. The talk."

"That talk. Hmm mmm. Tik-tok, Niklaus. Go on."

____________

I almost forgot to publish this. 

By the way

By the way... This is five year old Lucas. The cutter they are the more trouble they bring.

1220 words