19: Masquerade deu errado

masquerade due errado; masquerade gone wrong

_____________

"So, what exactly am I walking into tonight, Elijah," I asked. "Only the most dangerous and influential congregation of vampires the world has ever known," Elijah said deeply. "Sounds fun," I smiled. Elijah gave me his arm and escorted me into the party. It was similar to the first party I went to when I first got here. Marcel's so-called philanthropist party full of vampires.

Except there was more biting and more exotic dancing. Once we walked in everyone was staring at us or just at Elijah. "Why are they all staring at you," I asked. "I'm kind of a big deal around here," Elijah said vaguely. "They're all part of your sire lines," I guessed. "Most of them, tragically yes. You see, Cameron, I'd wanted to assemble minds curious about the world and eager to improve it, along with the time and circumstance to do so. My desire was to create an elite brotherhood devoted to a new, better civilization. It was naive. Eventually, I was forced to abandon them once I'd realized I'd cultivated a legion of egomaniacal sociopaths."

We walked to the bar with the blue-lighted table. As the music dropped the dancers began dancing. "SO, why is it that I had just found out about your engagement with Niklaus," Elijah asked. I coughed awkwardly at the question. "Ummm. We'll kind of propose the day of Hayley's wedding and we didn't want to spoil things for them so... time went by. It turned into a you-know-if-you-know but I'm not telling you sorta thing. Then he screwed up, so..."

Elijah looked down ashamed at his brother's behavior and then held his hand out for me. "Care for a dance," he asked. I nodded and took his hand. He led me further into the dance floor and twirling me around once we reached an appropriate spot.

"Where is this Tristan guy? I want to meet him for myself. Elijah, what's wrong," I asked him if his attention was elsewhere. I followed his gaze. "He's always in the center of things," I huffed. "I should have known."

"What," I asked. "This isn't a party. It's an initiation," Elijah said looking around. Waiters dressed in white suits and white masks came in with champagne glasses. They stopped at the front of the glasses with knives. Elijah and I ended our dance and shifted our attention to the front.

"Distinguished friends. Welcome. It's so rare that we are able to come together like this. To revel, for one insight, in the company of true equals." Tristan raised his glass. "Now, I'd like to take a moment to welcome a very special guest, Mr. Marcel Gerard," Tritan announced and we all clapped. "Thank you. I'm honored. Thank you," Marcel said.

"Of course, before we tell Marcel all of our secrets, there's one small piece of business to which we must first attend. We must determine his worth," Tritan said. "That's funny. I seem to recall you being the one knocking on my door," Marcel said walking up to him. "You'll notice, Mr. Gerard, that over the course of the evening someone has managed to take something quite dear to you. Your daylight ring."

Marcel looked down at his hand and it was missing. "What the hell is going on," I whispered to Elijah. He grabbed my arm without saying a word. "The test is quite simple. First, you need to deduce the identity of the thief. Then, you are simply to take back what is yours. Although, I doubt the prize will be easily relinquished. After all, despite our refinement, we're still a rather violent bunch. In victory, you become one of us. In failure, you meet your death. You have a few hours until dawn. I wish you the best of luck," Tristan said. Marcel looked rather defeated before walking away.

Once that was over Elijah and I went back to the table after I did a little favor for Marcel. "These vampires are an accident. How is Marcel supposed to beat one of them," I asked. "With guille, courage, perhaps a bit of trickery. Admittedly, it's a long shot. But then, sometimes the new candidates surprise us. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tristan de Martel. And you must be the famous Cameron Maria Hidalgo Hernadez, almost Mikaelson. Werewolf, witch hybrid," Tristan said, kissing my hand.