15: Entrada

entrada; incoming 

____________

It was time. Klaus was daggered. Hayley moved Hope and I into the Bayou for our protection. Davina had made Hope's bracelet that would conceal her magic. But the promise that Elijah made that we wouldn't be searched for him broke when I felt Freya looking for me. I couldn't worry about that now. We had a funeral to quickly prepare for.

We-- all the wolves, Hayley, and Jackson-- were walking together delivering Aiden's body to the river to give him a proper funeral. I stayed silent for the journey still in my thoughts. I knew if I'd open my mouth I'd start complaining about my feet hurting or blabbering out all my problems.

Hope grew hungry and started crying. " I need to stop and feed her," I said. "There's a hideout about a half-mile south. Grab some guys to watch your back. We'll make a perimeter. This bayou's our territory. We'll defend it," Jackson said.

We stopped and I fed Hope and brought Hayley with me. Moments later we heard yelling so we went back to the pack. "Elijah. You shouldn't be here," Hayley said. "Rebekah and Davian have found a way. If we can replicate Hope's magic we can lure Dahlia into a trap. After which, I'll kill her myself. All we need is a vial of Hope's blood," Elijah explained.

I reached into my pocket and threw it at him and he caught it. "You just so happen to have this on hand," Elijah asked. "You never know, Elijah. Always be prepared, especially at times like this," I shrugged. "The moment we know it's safe you can return Hope to where she belongs. With family."

After the encounter with Elijah, we prepared for the funeral and by that time it was nightfall. While I waited for Hayley and Jackson I took the ring off. I took a flower stem from the ground and turned it into a necklace with my magic. I put the ring on it and put it on. I'm just saving this for later. There's no other reason.

Once Jack and Hayley came outside we started the funeral. Josh showed up just in time. "Let him through," Jackson said to the wolves. We let Josh say his goodbye. "I never thought much about the immortality part of being a vampire. Suddenly, forever feels like a really long time," Josh said before he and Jackson pushed Aiden's body into the river setting it on fire.

What Josh said hit me. Hope would live forever, I would live forever, Klaus would live forever. Maybe somewhere in that time, we'd find our way back to one another. But right now, it wasn't the time. Not for us, anyway. I decided to leave Klaus a voicemail for when he awakes just in case I'm gone when he does.

"Dear, Klaus... Hope and I... we can't be part of your family anymore. All Hope's life, her family has tried to destroy her. That can't be our little princesa's story. Family is supposed to love you. Even if she is free from Dahlia's firstborn curse, Hope would still be your daughter, our daughter. She's inherited a thousand years of enemies, all the anger and rage. I don't want Hope to have that burden. She doesn't deserve that. Klaus... goodbye. But... but it's not forever. Just a see you later. So, uh, see you l-later, Klaus. I-I love... you," my voice broke at the end of the call as the thickness of pain clouded my throat.

"Cam, are you okay? I heard crying," Hayley asked. "Uh, yeah. No, it was just Hope," I tried to clear my voice.

"C'mon we better start moving. I think there's a storm coming," Hayley said and I nodded. Oh, there's a storm coming, alright. 

____________

635 words