Chapter 9 Yuzuki

It had been a few weeks since Hateno and I talked in the garden. Hateno had put me in the care of Kitane, who seemed more than happy to have my help. He mostly had me do small things like tend the garden, feed the koi and help out in the kitchen. I didn't mind, it kept me busy and my mind occupied. I didn't really want to think about Hateno. Because any time I did, all I wanted to do was run into his arms and never let go. I didn't want to admit it, but... I had changed my mind about him. He may have been a little cold to start with, but when we talked, he seemed like a different person. I just didn't want to love him. That seemed way too dangerous. But everything in my head was screaming at me to just let go, to let the emotions wash over me. Every time I saw him, my heart skipped a beat and I had to turn away in order to compose myself.

In the weeks that I had been at the manor, Kitane had shown me around as well, giving me enough of an idea where I had to go if I needed that. It was really big and it made me laugh to think that Hateno thought it wasn't. The apartment I had been given also still felt big. Even my mothers home was not as big as what I had then. I had thought about asking Hateno to have her come over so I could take care of her better. But then at the same time, I didn't want her to be in danger either. If I asked for her to come and live with me, she would be surrounded by yakuza. I liked the idea of that even less than just sending her the money for the meds.

Kitane had me running errands again today. Delivering letters and breakfast to those who couldn't walk to the dining hall. I had made a few stops already, and my last stop was Hateno. Kitane had given me a letter and asked if I could take it to him. I came to his study door and knocked twice. I waited for an answer as I looked down at the letter in my hand.

When the door opened, it wasn't Hateno standing there. The man who answered was about the same height as me, his pitch black hair was short and somewhat mussed. His silver eyes roamed over me. It was Deo, I had only met him about three times, and even that had been brief. Deo took a step back slightly. "Kazuo, Ryuu is here."

From within, I heard Hateno call back, the sound of a chair moving within the room following his voice. "Let him in." Deo stepped away from the door, leaving it open so I could enter.

I walked past Deo and made my way over to Hateno's desk, putting the letter down. "Anything else I can do for you?" I asked him as I sat down on the edge of his desk, watching him on the other side of it.

Kitane had given me a few pointers on how I should behave around the people at the manor. But when it came to Hateno, I didn't listen all that much. It was starting to seem more and more like Kitane was the butler of the manor. I didn't mind though, it meant I knew how to act around people I didn't know. And it meant that if I were to ever meet the higher up people Hateno knew, I would know what to do. But, with the way Kitane made it out to be, I would be standing at the side observing quietly. I sighed at the thought. I was definitely not the type of person to just stand and watch. Maybe if I really had to, but even then it would be a struggle for me to do so.

"I'm fine, thank you," Hateno answered as he took the letter. He cut it open and pulled the paper out. The document he set to the side looked rather official with a handful of signatures lining the bottom. Taking a pen, he began signing the paper.

A knock on the door filled the air and Deo went to answer it. In the doorway was a rather tall man with long black hair and dark eyes. "Hello, Deo."

"Lan Qiao," Deo replied.

"I've told you to call me Lan so many times."

"I know," was Deo's short reply as he turned from the door and let the man inside. Lan Qiao chuckled as he entered the room. He strode across the floor toward the desk I was perched on. Lan Qiao looked me over before he addressed Hateno.