Chapter 5 Yuzuki

My chest felt tight and I couldn't breathe. This was something I had not been expecting. How had I ended up working for a Yakuza leader? It was the stupidest thing I could have gotten myself into. It was definitely worse than being a slave. And even though I had come to Hateno on my own, I still felt captured. Maybe it was better than having to look over my shoulder my whole life, but it didn't feel like it was. Everything about our conversation had felt off, and I realised then that I should never have told Hateno about what the manager at the club had done. That was my stupid mistake though. But then if I hadn't, that meant that going home was dangerous as well.

Hateno had said that I was going to be a target for this other group and that had made me feel so unsafe that I wanted to leave. But I couldn't because that meant I might get killed. So I stayed. Unwillingly.

Hateno was in his seat again when there was a knock at the door.

"Come," Hateno called, his voice deep and strong. It seemed to thunder in the still silence that had been covering the room for the past ten minutes.

The door opened and the same man I'd seen the night before stepped in. He was dressed differently this time. The clothing was still business like, but without the extra additions of a formal jacket and slacks. He wore a black, sleek, button up shirt that was tucked into a pair of dark jeans. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, the top few buttons undone. A leather harness was hooked over his shoulders and peeking out from under his arm was the handle of a weapon I immediately knew to be a gun.

His dark hair was not as styled as before. Loose locks tumbled into his eyes. His gaze found me, and he arched an eyebrow briefly. "Still here?"

"Yes. Problem?" I asked him as I got up from my spot on the desk. As soon as I noticed his gun, there was a part of me that instantly didn't trust him either. Because a gun meant that he had killed as well.

His gaze narrowed at me. "Only if you make it one," Masao growled.

"Masao," Hateno said, and his tone was sharp, commanding. "He's going to be working at the manor."

"I see," Masao replied tightly. "Kitane's work?"

"It would seem. But, it is something to be grateful for. It means that Kin-Kumo Ikka won't be able to touch him and that means less of a hold on my city. So we must deal with them quickly," Hateno said.

I didn't want to be a part of the conversation, but the idea of working for a murderer still didn't sit right with me. I moved away from the desk and sat back down in the chair, my jumper still hanging off the side. Picking it up off the chair, I put it on. I had to start thinking about what I wanted to take with me. My laptop, of course. But I didn't really have much else except a few sets of clothes. All of the furniture in my apartment was from the lady that owned it, so I could take my books, clothes and laptop. I laughed softly, it seemed ridiculous how little I actually owned.

I looked up, realising that I had been staring at my lap that whole time. Hateno was still talking to mister annoyed. As I watched Hateno, however, I felt myself calming down a bit. I had seen his stunning eyes before but I hadn't noticed his jaw. His neck, the collar of his shirt and the black jacket that hid everything from my view. Yuzuki! What is wrong with you? He is a killer, not your next meal! I shot up from my seat.

"I'll be outside!" I said, a little louder than I had expected, and headed for the door.

Both men stopped talking. Masao looked over his shoulder at me, his eyebrow arched again but he didn't say anything. Hateno looked surprised at my outburst, but then he slowly nodded. "Kitane should be here soon to pick you up anyway. You can go down to the lobby and wait for him there."