182

We have the wedding at the cottage, on the beach. My uncle scowls and says I did a mighty fine job, finally marrying that boy. He's overjoyed to be able to celebrate with it, never thought he'd see the day.

No one is really surprised, though. We were those two guys in school who had such a bromance that everyone joked about us becoming a couple one day but then years later you check our Instagram pages and we're engaged and living in Florida.

Every girl I've ever dated is invited to be in the wedding party. There's something almost poetic about seeing them all arrayed in a procession, walking towards me down the aisle only to step off to the side, before Emery finally makes his way towards me.

We have a starlit dinner on the beach for the reception. Fairy lights are strung up in the boughs of the trees bordering the beach, combining with the bright red berries and glimmering candlesticks to create a romantic, ethereal look.

An orchestra is involved; it absolutely had to be. We're dancing on the beach to a Ben Platt song with the firelight crackling on one side and the waves crashing against the shore on the other, when I look over to where my parents are leaning against each other smiling at us. They've never looked so happy to me. My mom's eyes still look tired, but the joy she must feel after having never thought she'd see her only son married lights them up.