119

"Aly broke up with me," Emery blurts over the phone.

I wince in sympathy.

"Why?"

He sighs.

"I'm so busy. Violin. The hospital. Exam prep... We never have time for each other."

"Come over. I'll give you relationship advice."

"You've never had one. You're not capable of having a relationship."

"True. But I can make you mac n' cheese."

"You know it's too far," he sighs.

"I have an idea."

We order the same takeout and put on the same movie, then sit on our separate couches and talk about Aly.

"Maybe she somehow figured out that every day after her boyfriend came home from school, his best friend would come over and savagely fuck his face," Emery frets.

"Uh, it's none of a girlfriend's business what her boyfriend does when he isn't with her."

"Mmm..."

"Who needs bitches anyway?"

Emery sighs, looking at me earnestly through the camera.

"I know why you're like this, Brandon. You're bored of sex and you're taking it out on women. But the reason they don't satisfy you anymore is you, not them. You should've taken it slow. But you raced ahead and did everything so fast, and now you're confused because there's nothing left for you to enjoy."

If anyone else dared talk to me like this, I'd sock them in the face. Instead, I hang my head glumly, because it's Emery. And I know he knows that he knows me, he's right, and he means well.