151

It's week nine, and Aly has her first checkup. Emery and I tag along. The baby is just a little bigger than a penny. It's too early to tell the gender in an ultrasound, and Emery would rather not know until birth.

The beeping of the emergency Code Blue alarm interrupts today's flow. We all rush to attend the call. Someone attends to the patient, another grabs the notes and starts documenting, others collect samples, and decide a treatment plan.

"Pass me the-"

"-here you go," Emery supplies before I can finish.

"Thanks. Did you check the-"

"Yep."

"Can you read me the-"

He does.

"Wow, you two are in sync," Will comments on the well-oiled machine we form.

"We've basically been married for twenty-five years," I explain without looking up.

"I'm the wife," Emery adds nonchalantly.

"Oh." Will's eyebrows shoot up. "Cool, cool."

At the end of the day, Emery and I go our separate ways, him to Aly's and me to my place.

"'Kay, bro. I love you," I wave when he gets in his car.

"Bye, see you tomorrow!"

My heart sinks when I realize he didn't say I love you back. I drive home worrying that Aly is replacing me. But I'm not going to stew over these feelings of abandonment, rejection, and loneliness like some chick.

I drive over to his and Aly's place and bang on his door until he answers.

My throat feels hoarse.

"When I say I love you, you say it right fucking back," I greet.

Emery sighs and throws his arms around me.

"Of course I do, silly. I'm sorry I was distracted."