27

Now that the delicate balance in my life has been upended entirely, I'm a bit vulnerable. I think that's why I fly off the handle when Emery announces that Alexandra has asked him on a date...and he accepted. At first I thought it was a study date and barely looked up from my phone, but then Emery casually dropped the bomb that there would be dinner and a movie involved.

"You deserve better, babe. She's not even hot-"

Emery shrugs my arm off.

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe I like her for her intellect and talent and personality? Unlike you. Girls are always too short, too tall, too flat, too busty, too this, too that, never up to your standards. They're human beings, not commodities."

I roll my eyes.

"Emery, you can't be happy with someone you don't find attractive."

"Alexandra's attractive."

"Really?!"

"Yeah, I'll prove it. I'm gonna ask her to prom."

Now I have to backtrack - desperately. Diffuse the situation before he does something just to spite me, and Alexandra ends up getting hurt. Because there's no way Emery actually has feelings for her.

I push my phone away - Cassidy and Vanessa can wait.

"To be honest, I'm surprised you're asking out a girl."

"Why? Because I played Cinderella in some musical, so now I'm a limp-wristed sissy like those other guys said?"

"No-

"You're just like them-"

"Em-"

"Just leave me alone, Brandon."