149

Campfires just seem to go hand in hand with old country songs. So I strum along on my guitar to a song my uncle used to sing when he came down here with us.

"...Between a good girl and a good time...between all the way and just taking it slow...between one more shot on a Friday, and one knee down, baby, one day...between holding her and never letting gooo... That's the difference, between a man and boys..." Aly smiles pleasantly as she leans against Emery, and he lets his eyes drift closed with his face tilted up to the stars.

I've been working with my uncle on their dream house, from blueprint conceptualization to getting down and dirty on site. Em's parents not contributing a penny has me aching for him. Theirs is going to be the biggest fucking mansion there ever was, and they'll love it.

The smell of coconut sunscreen and beer and the sound of the crashing tide are familiar and soporific.

But I feel that odd ache clawing at my belly when it's time to go to sleep and Emery takes off with Aly. I definitely ate too many marshmallows. 

Crouching on the ground outside the cottage, I retch and try to empty my stomach, but nothing comes out. Screaming in frustration, I punch the wall.