Part 24

Aston’s POV

I was sat at home watching the football when my phone dinged. I picked it up off the table, hardly paying attention as my eyes were caught on the game. I didn’t recognize the number, but flicked the message open regardless. 

[Jess was deported from the US and is back in England].

I did a double-take as I read the message. What the hell?

I clicked open a new message responding to whoever had texted. I assumed it was the receptionist who apparently lived with Jess. [What happened? Is she ok? Where is she?].

I placed the phone on my knee waiting for a response. In just seconds my focus had been pulled clear away from the football game and now all I could do was stare at my phone waiting for it to ping. It was almost three agonizing minutes before I heard back. I snatched it up immediately and opened the text. [Her visa was expired and they made her leave the country. She’s fine, just upset. Not sure where she is staying]. 

I quickly responded to the text, thanking her for the information before setting my phone down again. If I were Jess, where would I stay? The obvious answer was her best friend Jen’s flat. I didn’t know where Jen lived or what her number was, but I did have a friend who was best mates with her boyfriend. I’d see her out from time to time. I texted my friend to get Mike’s number and then called Mike up as soon as I had it.

“Hey Mike, it’s Aston, Gary’s friend,” I said awkwardly into the phone.

“Oh hey, what’s up?” asked Mike on the other end.

“I’ve got a weird question for you…” I started trying to make this sound as normal as possible. “Is Jen’s friend Jess Rego staying with you?” I asked.

“No she isn’t,” he replied. 

“Has she come round?” I asked.

“No, but Jen mentioned that she was back in town, something about being deported? Sounded crazy.”

“Yeah… lots of drama. Listen I’m just trying to track her down, figured she’d try your girlfriend first.”

“Nah she’s not here. I think she did call Jen, but my brothers are here… Listen Jen’s just walked in, do you want to ask her?”

“Do you mind?” I asked. I was sure that Jen knew what was going on with Jess and I, and I prepared myself for an earful.

“Aston,” said a curt voice on the other end.

“Where is she Jen?” I asked.

“I’m pretty sure she does not want to see you right now,” said Jen.

“Well she needs to hear the truth,” I said.

“What’s that?” asked Jen. “That you used her? She’s been through enough the last few days, I’m pretty sure that she doesn’t need to deal with your bullshit right now.”

“I wasn’t using her,” I said into the phone, standing up from my seat on the couch. “I’m still in love with her!”

“Still?” asked Jen on the other end.

“Yeah…” I said. “I need to see her, tell her… Please tell me where she is.”

“You are putting me in a really terrible position Merrygold,” said Jen.

“Please Jen?”

“I’m going to tell you this because I actually think that you are telling the truth and that Jess is just scared to admit that she has feelings for you too. Although I do think that what you did to her, not setting your bandmate straight, was a pretty shitty thing to do.”

“I know…” I sighed.

“She’s at her parents house,” said Jen.

“Same place as before?”

“Yes. And I swear to god, if you tell her I told you, I’m going to kill you! She’d be livid! Just make it off that you came up with the idea on your own please.”

“I will! Thanks Jen!” I said into the phone.

“Don’t break her heart Merrygold,” warned Jen before hanging up her phone.

Quickly I jumped up from my spot on the couch and ran to get changed and grab something out of my bedside drawer. I grabbed a piece of fruit from the kitchen before sticking my wallet and phone in my pocket and running out the door with my car keys clutched tightly in my hand along with a plain white envelope. Less than five minutes after hanging up the phone with Jen, I was already on the road to Jess’ parents house.

I made the drive quickly. I probably sped most of the way, I was just too nervous and excited to finally see Jess and set things straight. Upon arriving at her parents house I parked up on the street and then walked up the front walk, taking a deep breath.

I buzzed the doorbell before panicking, realizing that I had no idea what I was going to say. Before I could think the door swung open and Jess’ mum stood before me.

“Aston!” she said. “What a surprise!”

“Hi Mrs. Rego,” I said, trying to be as polite as possible in my excitement and nervousness. I quickly leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek while she gave me a little hug. “Is Jess here?” I asked stepping back.

“Did you hear about her little misfortune?” she asked, a knowing look on her face.

I nodded my head, “Not been having a good time has she?” I asked, cringing slightly. Part of this was my fault.

“No, not a happy camper. She’s out back in the garden I think, go on out and find her,” said Jess’ mum, letting me in the house and pointing down the hall towards the door out to the back.

I took a deep breath and walked down the hall, clutching the envelope tightly in my hand. I pushed the door open and saw Jess lying there on a sun lounger, her iPod in her ears. I took in her beauty for a second before walking over to her, hovering above her. Here goes...