Part 21

The next morning I woke up to a loud knocking sound. Aston’s arm was wrapped tightly around my waist, his head leant against my shoulder blade. “Make it stop,” he groaned in my ear.
“What if its important?” I asked. Aston sighed deeply again, before getting up and pulling his boxers on, and then some trackies and a t-shirt.
“I’ll be right back,” he said, leaning in and giving me a peck on the lips. He walked out to the front room, pulling the bedroom door shut behind him. I could hear him shuffle to the door and pull it open, before he distinctly said, “What’s up?” to the visitor.
“Studio in an hour, you aren’t answering your phone so I figured I’d knock to make sure you were up before getting breakfast,” said the voice of a guy. And then I heard, “Who’s heels are those Ast?”
“What?” he said, somewhat stupidly.
“Don’t be dumb…”
“Just a friend,” replied Aston.
“Who?” prodded the voice. I was trying so hard to place it when it clicked, Marvin, from the band.
I heard a mumble, which obviously Marvin didn’t understand, before Aston responded louder, “Jess ok!”
“You mean…”
“Yeah…” 
“Aston really?” said Marvin. “You call up a girl that you haven’t seen in three years for a quick shag?”
“I…” I heard Aston stutter. My cheeks were burning from this. Was that what this all was? Convenience? I couldn’t hear Aston trying to defend the situation at all, only silence from him, instead Marvin was pressing on.
“Mate you told me you were over her. That it was ancient history. Just a silly summer romance that didn’t mean anything. What the hell are you doing calling her up and then sleeping with her? You who is so adamant that you’re not interested in a girlfriend or anything right now. What the hell was this then Ast? Calling up your ex out of the blue after not seeing her in ages? I thought you were better than using girls for sex!”
I’d heard enough. My heart was shattered. I’d been so excited about the prospect of everything, but now Marvin had just made the situation crystal clear. This was nothing more than a booty call. Aston wasn’t interested in a relationship, just in some convenient sex while he was in LA. No wonder he was so quick to ask me back to his hotel. And he was all prepared with protection! My head was spinning trying to put all the obvious pieces together.
Furious with myself for falling for his trick, I jumped out of bed and threw my clothes on. I’d have to leave my heels behind, but luckily the rest of my stuff was in the bedroom. I left a quick note and then slipped out of the sliding door, running down the beach as fast as I could. I didn’t stop until I’d gotten home, at which point I ran straight up to my room and locked the door behind me, dissolving into tears on my bed.
An hour later I was shocked awake by my housemate Molly coming into my room with a hot mug of tea.
“Tell me what happened,” she said sitting down on the bed next to me, stroking my hair gently.
I told her everything about my “date” with Aston. About how he’d seemed so nice and sincere, but then about how everything had escalated so quickly and we’d ended up sleeping together. I never slept with someone on a first date. And then I told her about the conversation I’d just overheard, about how it was pretty clear that I’d just been used.
“Awww hun, I’m sorry,” said Molly, pulling me into a hug.
I just sat there and let her hug me for a minute before something dawned on me. The Tinie Tempah record. “What time is my flight?” I croaked.
“What?” asked Molly, pulling back and looking at me.
“My flight to New York, when is it?”
“I thought you were going to try and push it back?” said Molly.
“No point now really is there?” I asked.
“I guess not,” she said. “I’d have to check for sure but I think its at 5 this evening.” I looked across at the clock next to my bed, it was just after noon.
“Might as well start packing up then,” I said, hauling myself out of bed and getting my suitcase down.
“Babe, are you sure this is a good idea? Maybe you should talk to him first?”
“I’d rather just put this one behind me,” I sighed. “Was a stupid mistake, I should have been smarter. Would prefer to just never see him again if I’m honest. Finally got the closure I needed…”
“You sure?” asked Molly skeptically.
“Yeah… Listen I’m going to have a shower,” I said, motioning towards my en suite.
“Ok babe, just think about it though, ok?”
“I will…” I said before turning and going into my bathroom and locking the door. All I wanted to do at the minute was get as far away from LA and everyone in it as possible.