Part 3

“This new act is from the UK! Been on the X Factor and everything,” said Molly with a smile.
“Yeah, their version of The X Factor has knocked out loads of stars,” I smiled knowingly, trying to play it cool. Ok, so maybe I was thinking about Aston a little bit right now. Maybe I was really excited at the prospect of having this “new” act to work with. But I didn’t get my hopes up, this same thing had happened before when Leona Lewis came to record in the studio.
“Do you know that name?” asked Molly stunning me out of my thoughts. I’d totally missed what she’d just said.
“Sorry missed that.”
“I said have you heard of Alexandra Burke?”
Slightly disappointed I nodded my head. Yes, I did know that name; she’s the one who beat the boys.
“She’ll be in this afternoon and then you can set times with her for the rest of the week. Her management said that she’s pretty flexible, so feel free to lead the way on this one.”
“Sounds good,” I said before watching her leave my studio. There, I knew not to get my hopes up at seeing him again.
For the last three years I’d had little moments like this. Things to do with Aston popping up and me being excited to maybe see him, and then have it not be him. The boys had been in LA a few times. I knew this because I occasionally stalked their YouTube channel and had seen the evidence. I always wondered why Aston didn’t call up the studio or send me an email when he was coming. To be fair though, I’d been home a few more times and hadn’t contacted him either. I didn’t know what to say. Best leave the happy times in the past and move on, right?
Alex came through in the afternoon and we started some preliminary writing. She’d brought all sorts of lyrics with her, and we’d started talking through different ideas for sounds that we wanted to put behind them. Was it a happy song or a sad song? Dance music or chill out music? Once we’d figured that out I’d fiddled around with my keyboard a bit, trying to get some ideas flowing.

--

My third day working with Alex and things were going well. We got on well too, which was a bonus. Most acts I worked with were absolute nightmares. But Alex was great, even insisting on taking me out for lunch.
We sat at an outdoor café in Hollywood with big salads and fruit smoothies, chatting away about London.
“You know, I thought I knew you,” she said after awhile.
“Sorry?” I asked.
“When they said that I’d be working with a Jess Rego, I thought the name was slightly familiar,” she started. “And then I saw you and I couldn’t figure out where I know you from… but it’s just clicked!” she smiled.
“Really? I don’t think we’ve met before.”
“We haven’t,” replied Alex, taking a big bite of salad.
“Well then, how do you know me?” I asked awkwardly.
“You’re friends with Aston!” 
My heart started to pound a little bit. How did Alex Burke now about me via Aston? I was well confused.
“Yeah, I mean it’s been years, but we used to be pretty close. How’d you know?” I asked.
“Well I was in the X Factor House with the JLS boys right? We all put up all sorts of pictures in our rooms. Loved ones mostly, friends from home, inspirations. Anyways, I remember talking to Aston about his pictures. He only had four up, while most people had loads and loads. One was of him and his mum, one was of him and the boys, one was of him and his whole family, and one was of him and this really pretty girl. I remember asking him if she was his girlfriend and he replied ‘I wish,’ and then told me she was his old flat mate who’d moved to LA and all sorts.”
I just sat as Alex rambled on and on about the pictures. I thought it was sweet that Aston had had a picture of me in the X Factor House. But that was ages ago…