forty one.

A/N- I recommend listening to The Beach by The Neighbourhood while reading this. Specifically the slowed and reverbed version or whichever you prefer:)

Heartache. My heart ached for Daniel. I sat on my bed as the rain poured down outside. All I could think about was the time we got into a huge fight and he screamed I love you, fixing everything. If only things could be fixed that easily again. Tears spilled out onto my pillow as the kiss replayed in my head. The door to my room suddenly flung open. I was looking at a teary eyed Daniel. "Y/n, I'm so sorry. I still love you," his voice trailed off. I took a deep breath. What I was going to say would stay in his head forever. "I promise I'll always look out for you. My heart is yours, it will always be. We're better off this way. I'll love you forever Daniel Larusso, but this can't work. You and Jane deserve each other, really. I'm happy for you two. We just weren't meant for each other in this life. Maybe in the next one, loser" I said smiling through the tears that covered my face. "I love you so much, y/n. I'll always be here for you. You'll forever be my always. " He pulled me into a hug. "See you in the next life, slugger." I watched as he walked out the door, out of my life. 

I stared up at the ceiling and all the memories flooded back. 

"I love you." 

"You're going to be a great dad."

 "You care about us, our relationship." 

 "I'm going to marry you someday, y/n. I promise." 

"Good, because you're definitely my soulmate."

"I love you, for you."

"You're my always."

"See you in the next life, slugger."

Everything was gone now. How am I supposed to just forget about him? He was the one who taught me how to love. My room felt cold and empty now that he wasn't here. I felt my body shiver. If he were here, he'd warm me up. I checked my closet for a sweater to find my whole wardrobe filled with Daniel's hoodies. I quickly sorted through my closet and found one of my old sweatshirts. I grabbed an old moving box from the kitchen and folded Daniel's hoodies in the boxes. My room was absorbed in his scent. Everything reminded me of him. I looked on my dresser to see a picture of us. I busted into tears flipping the picture on its back. I buried my face into my arms trying to pull myself together. I needed to leave, get away from him. I missed him too much. 

I ran to the beach, collapsing on the sand. I laid on my back, watching the stars twinkle. "Hey, can I join you?" I heard a voice say. I looked up to see Zach. "Yeah. I'm sorry I ditched you. A lot has happened. Me and Daniel broke up for good," I said swallowing the lump in my throat. "I'm so sorry, y/n" he said hugging me. I hugged back. "It's okay. Him and Jane deserve each other." He sighed, tilting my chin up. "No guy deserves you, y/n. You're perfect the way you are and if they can't see that then they're blind" he chuckled. "Thanks." He placed his hand on my cheek and suddenly, our lips smashed together. I quickly pulled away. "Your lips aren't his, Zach. I'm sorry. This doesn't feel right, this was a mistake." It was Daniel I wanted to kiss, not Zach. We had just broke up and I couldn't do that to myself. It was Daniel's lips I wanted to kiss, but Zach's were convenient. 

I stared at the empty spot on my bed. Heartbreak. This was my first heartbreak ever. It hurt like hell. We both knew this was for the best no matter how bad it hurt. We'll never stop loving each other, ever. Our relationship made me the happiest I've ever been, and I'm happy I met Daniel. I'll miss him more than ever, but he'll forever have a place in my heart. He'll forever be my always.