Chapter 26

Chapter 26

There was silence in the crowd for a few seconds as Alex walked up onto the stage with Philip. It was when Alex shook hands with Philip that everyone got over the shock and started clapping for Alex. Alex glanced nervously over at his family to see there expressions, his mother's in particular. He watches as his mother go from shock to angry.

Philip followed Alex's gaze to his family who were all showing mixed expressions. Philip himself couldn't help, but cringe at the look of Sofia's face who was ready to just about kill someone. Once Alex shook Philip's hand Alex wanted to bolt when he saw the look in his mother's eyes.

Alex made sure to take his time shaking hands of fellow team members as he walked towards where his family was seated.

"Hey guys." Alex said nervously as he watched steam come from his mother's ears.

"What was that Alex?" Alex and everyone was surprised how calm Sofia sounded when she spoke.

"What do you mean mother?" Alex looked to Emilia who looked hurt and confused by what was going to happen.

"I mean is this some prank you are pulling or what?" Alex sighed and look towards his father knowing he needed to explain.

"About a week ago Philip approached me saying he was leaving the company due to health problems. He had no one to take over the business and he didn't want to sell it off to other companies who would sell Braxton marketing firm bit by bit. He asked me if I wanted me to take over the business and after some thought I said no." Alex remembered when he rang Philip saying he didn't want to take on the company as he wouldn't get time with his family.

"If you said no then why the hell did Philip just announce that you are the new CEO?" Alex sighed and saw a few people around itching to listen in to the family conversation.

"Mother can we please talk about this another time." The look on his mother's face showed that she wanted this talked about then and now.

"No porque después nunca significa para usted."( No because later means never for you.) Alex rubbed his head and picked up Aiden who was standing at his feet.

"Please mother let's just please enjoy the party and talk about this later." Sofia threw her hands up in the air muttering nonsense in Spanish.

"We are leaving." Sofia dragged Fabian away from the party apologising to Philip on the way out. Once Alex mother left in a hurry Alex turned to Emilia who was looking at him with a sad expression that he didn't like.

"I am sorry I have to agree with your mother. I cant be here." Emilia picked up her bag off the chair and went to leave when Alex grabbed her hand.

"Emilia." He whispered as he watched the people he loved walk away.

"I need some space. I will get my brother to pick me up." Emilia kissed Alex's cheek whispering in his ear before she left.

"I wish you would have just told me." Alex watched as the love of his life walk away leaving only him and Aiden surrounded by people who he wanted nothing to do with in this presence of time.

Alex didn't spend much longer at the party as Aiden started to fall asleep in his arms. When Alex got home he put Aiden into his own bed and walked around the cold and empty house. Emilia had come and picked up some of her clothes leaving his wardrobe looking bare. He walked into his office and poured himself a glass of whiskey only to throw it away after one sip.

Sinking to his knees he wished he just said no to Philip because it seemed like at this moment in time he had lost everyone that was close to him.