Chapter 40

Liam's POV

It takes about an hour to explain to Maddie how Zayn and I used to be in elementary school with me, and how great of friends we were. We're practically brothers.

Zayn, Maddie, and I sit in a circle sharing stories for hours when finally the clock strikes 5:00PM. "Oh gosh, my girlfriend, Perrie, is flying into town today and I've gotta pick her up at 5:30! Do you guys wanna come to the airport with me and pick her up?" Zayn asks kindly.

I look to Maddie and she gives me a small reassuring smile, "Sure!" I say.

He smiles at me happily and grabs his coat, "We may want to leave now, just so we can beat rush hour!" I nod in agreeance and grab a jacket for myself.

"Here, Maddie, you can wear my sweatshirt if you'd like!" I say offering her the heavy fabric, "It's very warm and cozyyyyy!" I snuggle up to her in the sweatshirt I'm wearing, which is somewhat similar to the one I gave her. I smile as I start to think about up cuddling with these sweatshirts on, so warm and cuddly.

"That would be lovely, thank you babe," she says as she slips it over her head. Apparently, she's had the same thought as me, because she pulls me into a hug and whispers, "It's so warm dear Lord, I love you."

I chuckle and kiss the top of her head, "I love you too pumpkin. So so much."

"Well, I'd hate to break this up, but we gotta gooooo, I miss Perrie!" Zayn whines.

I pull away from the hug and kiss Maddie once more. "Alright, alright, now we can go!" I say grabbing her head and leading her out the door. It's funny how much more confidence I have when it comes to Maddie and I's relationship. I never really knew what to do in a relationship, but this one feels so natural. It's indescribable and clearly meant to be.

We make the short expedition to the airport fun by playing Beyoncé songs on the radio and doing weird dances. Maddie pulls out a dance called "The Slippery Bug" where she literally just wiggles everywhere. We both agree it's stupid, but I also find it incredibly adorable.

We make it to the airport safely and with aching sides from all the laughing we did. Once we're inside, Zayn starts to look around for Perrie. He stands on his tip toes and nearly jumps ten feet in the air when he finally sees her. He quickly runs over to her, catching her in an embrace.

"Awe they're cute together!" Maddie says to me, squeezing my hand. I nod, they are cute together. I've never seen Zayn so happy. He's normally incredibly chill, but with Perrie, he's vibrant and glowing.

"They are really cute together, they look so happy!" I say.

Suddenly, as my eyes shift from the couple embracing to behind them, my heart sinks. I see my father and my mother stepping out of a terminal.

I would run and hide, but there's no use. He's already seen me. Made eye contact with me, too. There's no going back at this point.

As he approaches me, I grab Maddie's hand. I need to touch at least one part of her to have the full strength I know I can have. It's like she transmits some kind of confidence into me through just a little touch.

"Liam, what do you think you're doing out of the house with your glasses on? And with this..thing!" He says in an angry tone, motion to Maddie.

Immediately, a fiery rage is lit inside me when he says "thing". Maddie isn't a thing. She's an angel. A soul that cannot be describing, contained or confined into the sole purpose of one word. She's the love of my life.

"Dad, stop." I warn him. If he continues to insult her, I'll have to start a fight with him. Something I've been wanting to do for a while, but I never had the courage to do.

"I will not stop, I am your father and you will do what I say! Now dispose of this slut and let's go home before someone sees you!" He demands.

"No," I say firmly, pulling Maddie behind me, "She's not a slut, she's my beautiful girlfriend, and she's the love of my life. And I couldn't care less who sees me, because this is who I am! Whether you can accept it or not." I spit at him.

Before I know what's happening, he takes a swing at me. I have just enough time to process what's happening and move out of the way before his second blow hits me in the nose. I start to swing back at him, imagining he's my punching bag. I let everything I've built up inside throughout all the years out and it felt so good to beat him up. I wonder if this is how he felt when he beat me.

"This is for calling Maddie those awful things!" I shout, punching him in the gut, "And this is for all the awful things you did to my mum!" I punch him in the jaw, "And this is for all the awful things you did to me!" I whisper, giving him a final blow.

Two security guards grab us and we both scramble to our feet.

"You're not welcome in our home anymore! We don't want you! Never show your face to us again!" My dad shouts as they haul him to the exit to throw him out.

"Liam," Maddie says softly, putting a hand on my shoulder, "Are you ok?" She dabs her thumb on my cheek, where I can feel a cut from his first punch.

"I-I don't have a home anymore," I murmur.

But then I look into her eyes, and I realize it doesn't matter, because wherever she is, I will find a home.

{SO THIS IS A PRETTY LONG CHAPTER AND THERES WAS A FIGHT IM PROUD

Anyways thanks a ton for reading ily all

Ps. Maddie's dead hahaha}