Chapter 49 - "Quicksand of misunderstanding..."

Manik Office: Board of Director Mr Chawla's Cabin: 5:30 pm:

Manik approached the door and knocked determinedly.

Mr Chawla: "Come in."

Manik entered. Mr Chawla gestured him to take the seat. With a cordial smile, Manik occupied the chair.

Mr Chawla: (Concernedly) "Yes, Mr Malhotra...anything urgent?

Manik: (Confidently) "Yes, Sir. Actually, I just wanted to discuss the Singapore job. Can you tell me if the Board of Directors has taken any decision about it? So that I can make my decisions accordingly."

Mr Chawla: "Yes, Mr Malhotra. I was about to inform you about it. Board of Directors wants to send you as soon as possible. But before that, I want to say something."

Manik nodded with a curious expression.

Mr Chawla: (Hesitantly) "Well, look this is entirely your personal matter but nowadays some unpleasant talks are getting conjectured about you. Some Directors are also concerned about it. Look I know who is spreading this gossips and what is the reason behind it. But that's not the point. The point is you have to take a firm step to stop all this rubbish. It's not good for your reputation as well as your career. I guess you have understood my point. Mr Malhotra, it's equally important for an employee to have a spotless character like his professional efficiency. Or else the opportunity never knocks twice at the door."

Manik's jaws got harden. He gripped the paperweight to control his wrath. Soha has started her game.

Manik: (Defiantly) "Sir, gossip always remains gossip. That's why it is short-lived. It can't defeat the truth. And I know what is my truth. Very soon my truth will defeat all these baseless gossips. But for that, I need some time. My request to you in-between don't let the Directors take any decision about my promotion or the Singapore post."

In reply, Mr Chawla nodded in positive. With a content smile, Manik got up and headed the door to exit. Suddenly Mr Chawla said,

Mr Chawla: "Mr Manik there are many slips between cup and lips and Singapore post could be the turning point of your career. Take it as your dream goal. I will be very happy to give you this golden opportunity."

Manik nodded determinedly and left.

...........................................................

Manan Flat: Doorstep: 7:30 pm:

Gattu Singh aka Nandini unlocked the main door and pushed it to open. Entering the living room, she switched on the light and turned to the other person who was still standing behind the threshold.

Nandini: (With an amused tone) "Now, do you need an invitation to step in or it is your in-law's house and I am your Mom-in-law from whom you are expecting an Aarti (A religious ritual of worship in Hinduism) to welcome you?

The person stepped in with rolling eyes.

Navya: "Well, logically you are right. This is Cabir's Mamaji's (Maternal Uncle) house. So, in that case, it is my in-law's house. And coincidentally this is my first visit here. So, I deserve a grand welcome. But..sorry... I am not at all interested to take an Aarti from you. Just imagine! A Sardar doing Aarti....Ha...ha...can't even think.

In reply, Nandini rolled her eyes at her best friend and pushed her on the sofa. Navya flumped back into the couch. With a chuckle, Nandini closed the door.

Nandini: (With fake sadness) "At least you don't make fun of my condition. I am fed up with this dual role. By the way, Navu I am feeling too tired. Please make a cup of filter coffee for me and after that, I have to tell you something. It's good that you have come here today. Otherwise, I had to wait for you in Shreya's flat."