Chapter 48 - "It's more complicated..."

Manik's Office: His Cabin: 11:30 am:

Three days passed. In between nothing important, interesting or inconvenient happened for Manan. Nandini regularly was going to school. Manik punctually came to the office. On the other side, Navya occasionally went on dates with Cabir. However, she was feeling that something is bothering Cabir. Once he was even asking about Manik's girlfriend. Needless to say, Navya shunned the topic then and there by saying that, he doesn't have any girlfriend. Inwardly she knew that she is telling the truth. Manik doesn't have any girlfriend but he has a wife who is none other than her best friend Nandini. However, since that day Cabir started behaving strangely. It seemed that he wants to say something to Navya but somehow, he was refraining himself to say it loud. Navya was waiting for the day when Manik will get the official confirmation of his Singapore job and all this hide and seek will come to an end. However, we should always be prepared for the unexpected. After all, life is not so simple. Manik was working on the new design on his laptop when his mobile squawked. Unmindfully he picked the call up.

Manik: "Hello...."

The voice from the opposite side brought an ear-to-ear smile to his face.

Manik: (Excitedly) "Dhruv, Bro, what's up? You called me this time! Really unexpected. What happened? Your sis-in-law didn't pick your call? So that you honoured me!"

Dhruv: (Scoffed) "Nothing like that. I don't call you at office time because I know how busy you remain. But, indeed, Nandu didn't pick my call up today and for that, I am going to punish her."

Manik: (Laughed) "Ha...ha...but for that, you have to come here and I know that as of now it's impossible for you. It's the bank closing month and more of that the irksome audit that you are facing right now. But you know Nandu was really missing you on my birthday. You remember how we enjoyed last year at the pub?"

Dhruv: "But I have to make that impossible to possible. It seemed that Nandu's wish really works. I am coming tomorrow."

Manik: (Almost yelled) "What? How? I mean why?"

Dhruv: "Bhai, you are reacting as I stay in Antarctica and I am coming to Mumbai on a penguin ride. Hmmmmm. Well, it's an abrupt decision and the force behind this immediate choice is Aliya. She called me and insisted that at any cost I have to come to Mumbai as soon as possible. Come what may. She didn't even listen to my words. Naturally, I had no other choice."

Manik: "But why does she want you to come? All of a sudden? Hey, don't tell me that you both are thinking to break up!"

Dhruv: (Annoyingly) "Eh, come on, Bhai. Nobody calls her boyfriend so eagerly to break up with him. On the contrary, if I won't go then this possibility has a chance and I don't want to take that risk. So, I am coming"

Manik: (Giggled) "Ha...ha..till now I only heard about henpecked husband but now I can see a henpecked boyfriend....Ha...ha..."

His words couldn't end; a voice grabbed his attention.

The person: "Husband...who is husband here? As far I know you are unmarried."

Manik: (With a formal tone) "I will call you back, Dhruv"

He cut the call and turned to the person who was standing in front of his desk.

Manik: (With gritted jaw) "Ms Soha, this is my cabin and I own some privacy. For your kind information, it's a courtesy to knock at the door before entering anybody's room."