Chapter 51-"At sixes and sevens..."

Manan flat: Living Room: 10:30 am:

Nandini and Dhruv were relishing their second-round morning coffee while relaxing on the sofa. Manik had an early morning meeting in the office. So, he left accordingly. Nandini took a leave from the school in honour of his brother-in-law. They planned to stay at home for the entire day and chit chat like they used to do in the old days. Perhaps both were anticipating how will be their lives without meeting each other for a long time when Manik and Nandini will leave for Singapore.

Dhruv: (With a teasing tone) "Nandu, tell me honestly. Are you really happy to settle in abroad? Aren't you feeling sad to leave us here? This city of dreams has made our simple Nandu so ruthless (Fake sad pout). I expected at least some pretentious resistance from you. But here you look more excited than Bhai. Phew...what a tragedy."

Nandini chuckled under her breath while observing Dhruv's conspicuous fake lament.

Nandini: (With equal fake seriousness) "Why shouldn't I be Dhruv? How much concerned are you about your sister-in-law? I kept on requesting you to come over here for almost the last two months but you didn't have time. But see, what happened now! Your girlfriend called once and you appeared like a Jin. What a tragedy."

Nandini mimicked him. Both were looking at each other for a moment and in the next second burst into a riot of laughter.

Dhruv: (In between his giggle) "But Nandu seriously; it is a tragedy. I have never thought of being blackmailed like this. You won't believe how much tensed I was when Aliya called me to come. She is really scary sometimes."

Nandini: (Grinning) "Now you realized....love makes us weak"

Dhruv: (Wobbled in denial) "Ummmhu...love makes us selfless. Look at yourself. You never think about your comfort and career in front of Bhai's aspiration and success. Bhai is really lucky to have you as his wife."

Dhruv's eyes emitted sheer respect and affection for his friend cum sis-in-law. Nandini gave a shy smile. Just then the doorbell dinged. Both looked at each other. As nobody was supposed to come at this time. On the other hand, as Nandini had not to go outside she was in her nature getup. Dhruv indicated her to go inside and got up to open the door. Nandini dispersed quickly. Dhruv opened the door and his heart jolted for a moment. Aliya was standing outside with her Mom...Aloka. Her expression was not angry or upset like the last night, instead, she was looking a bit nervous. Due to temporary shock, Dhruv forgot to let them in. He even lacked to say a Hi, instead kept on standing like a bewildered statue.

Aloka: (With frown) "I think this lobby is not an ideal place to talk. So, can we come inside and discuss?"

Her voice had authority which broke Dhruv's initial bafflement.

Dhruv: (Immediately stood aside) "Yes, of course. I am so sorry. I was not...I mean Aliya didn't tell me that you will come here, Aunty. Please come."

Aloka and Aliya stepped inside. Dhruv tried to meet Aliya's eyes to gauge her mental condition but she bent her head and silently sat on the sofa.

Aloka: "Actually, I was supposed to come tomorrow but something happened and I thought to talk to you first before I have a word with your brother and parents."

Aloka's serious tone made Dhruv nervous once again. He gulped his saliva to moist his dried-up throat and sunk in the sofa with trembling hands. "God! Did they come to know everything about Bhai and Nandu? Did Aliya say about her doubt and argument regarding Gattu? Is his brother in any awkward situation." Dhruv's mind started webbing all negative possibilities. But Aloka's next words made him numb for a while.