Chapter 8- Manan date.....

Shreya's flat: Living room: 7: 15 pm:

Nandini was sitting on the sofa but restlessly and continuously monitoring her wristwatch as well as the wall clock. She was wearing a black long kurti with cream palazzo. Her jet black hair was tied in a ponytail. Some loose tresses were adorning her innocent face. Minimal ornaments didn't overpower her subtle beauty. A euphoric aura always encircles her. Nandini got up and came to the window to take a glance at the empty road outside. Navya who was observing Nandini for a while picked the mobile up from the front table.

Navya: (Frowned) " Nandu, your monitoring over the road after every 2 minutes will not bring Manik any soon. Why don't you call him and ask about his delay?"

Nandin: (Flared nose) "Who told you I didn't? I have already called him 15 times but he didn't even bother to pick it up. Height of irresponsibility."

She came back to the sofa and sat with a thud showed her irritation.

Navya: (Rolled eyes) "He was supposed to come at 7 pm right? And it is just 15 minutes past. Now I could understand why he is not picking up your calls."

A big question mark plastered on Nandini's face.

Navya: (Pretended to be serious) " Nandini, seriously? Even NASA might not count down so accurately to launch its rockets. And here you are tracking him like a radar. Of course, he got irritated and preferred to not pick up your calls. Come on, give him some grace time. A 10 - 15 minutes delay won't destroy your romance, my helicopter wife. Show some pity on your husband and take my phone to call him further."

Navya threw her phone lightly to Nandini. A mischievous smile appeared on her lips.

Nandini: (Caught the phone with rolled eyes) "And what about your some time back policies? Don't track the husband, don't be a radar. Be cool and give him grace time, blah, blah, blah...."

Navya: (Naughty smile) "Don't you know, all policies come with some terms and conditions? These policies are only applied to those husbands who are as innocent as lambs. In one word STUPID. And you can't count yours in that league. Instead, he is as smart as a whip. So I think you have to be a little smarter to match up to him."

Navya giggled.

Nandini: (Gaped) "Okay, I would tell him that you have trained me how to shut his smartness."

Now it was Navya's turn to gape. She jumped on Nandini to snatch her mobile when a honk of a horn startled them.

Navya: (Snatched her mobile) "Go, your smart husband has finally come. Enjoy your date and dinner. Lucky fellows. Despite being married both are enjoying courtship thrills. And look at me. I only have thrills in my life as online shopping. 70% off, buy one get one free or Diwali bumper sale."

She pouted with fake disappointment.

Nandini: (Grinned) "Don't worry. This sale will soon change to an entry of a male in your life. I have intuition."

She winked and left.

..........................................

Mumbai: A posh restaurant: 8:30 pm:

Manik: ( Irritated) "Come on Nandini. Don't spoil the night. I said my mobile was silent and I was in a hurry; so didn't check it. And I am only 20 minutes late yaar. What a big deal?"

Nandini:( sighed) "You will never understand. You can't understand how excited I was to tell you all. How was the experience and how is the school. Forget it."

She turned her face with a pout. Manik noticed it and nodded. An affectionate smile appeared on his face.

Manik: "Okay, I am sorry. Now I am here. In front of you. Tell me in detail. I am all ears."

He bit his lips. Nandini looked into his eyes and gradually a bright smile came on her face. Seemed the bright sun peeps after a cloudy sky.

Nandini: (Pointed the menu card) "Order first. My favourite Rasam and Appam. And you can carry on with your Mutton biryani. But dessert will be my choice. Your punishment for being late."

She giggled.

Manik: (Sighed) "As you wish. I am grateful that you didn't punish me by ordering me to eat all those south Indian dishes. Sweet dish, I can compromise with."

He made a fake hand gesture of helplessness. Nandini rolled her eyes and gently slapped his hand.

Nandini: (Grinning) "Oh, really? If South Indian dishes are so non-acceptable to you, why did you marry a South Indian girl? You should have married a Punjabi girl who could have given you company in your food selection."

Manik: ( Mischievous smile)"Nandu. We are married for 2 yrs now. But still, you don't understand your husband fully. His choice of food."

Nandini frowned with a confused look.

Manik: "I am a foodie. Everybody knows that. But everybody doesn't know that I love sweet dishes the most. And my favourite sweet dish is...... YOU. Which I can have any time despite having the risk of diabetes. Why the hell I choose a Punjabi girl when I have my irresistible Payasam."

He pinched her plumpy cheek. Nandini blushed and glanced here and there to notice if anyone is looking at them.

Manik: ( Naughty smile) " Sorry. I have to correct myself. My Payasam with the tint of rose pink colour."

Nandini rolled her eyes.

Nandini: ( Shyly) " Manik stop it. You are too much. Now let me tell you about the day. The interview was very smooth. No complaints about that. The school is good too. Quite big and well infrastructural. The salary is good. I have to join on next week. The rest will be known after joining."

She completed it in one go. The waiter came with the steamy foods and placed them in front of them. They were hungry, so immediately concentrated on enjoying the delicacies. After some minutes Manik satisfied a bit and paused for a moment.

Manik: "Hmmm. That's nice. How are the administrators? Have you met the principal? "

Nandini :( Wiped her chin with tissue) "Principal is good. She is a lady of near 45 yrs. Rest, the members of the board were very professional. But the interesting part is, I met a guy. Aryamaan Khurana. My would-be colleague. He is a science teacher. Near about 25-26 yrs. Very sweet. And the funny thing was he thought that I am a new student. Ha..ha."

Manik: ( Frowned) "That is not his fault. Sometimes you look like. But the problem is; your this sweet would-be colleague must not be over-friendly with you. Otherwise, he has to face The Manik Malhotra."

Manik rubbed his fist.

Nandini: (Squinted) "Really? Jealous Monster. And what about your Ms sexy boss? Did she try to be over-friendly with my husband? Then she also has to face The Nandini Malhotra."

Both looked at each other for a moment and burst out with a giggle.