Chapter 46 - "Manan...the eternal bond..."

Aryamaan's house: On the dining table: 7:45 am:

Aryamaan was unmindfully doodling on his plate with the fork. His eyes were fixed to the front wall. It's evident that his mind was wandering somewhere else. Swami (His caretaker) poured some juice into the glass and purposely placed it in front of him with a thud. The intention was clear. For the last half an hour his Arya Bhai was stirring his food without passing it in his mouth. He even tried to attract his attention by calling and clearing his throat but all went in vain. "I wish Cabir Bhai comes and changes this silent mode to a normal one." Swami muttered in mind, however, it seemed that God heard his wish. Cabir entered whistling in a frolic mood.

Cabir: (Enthusiastically) "What's up, Bro? Swami, make your special omelette. I just ran away from Mami's ever boring Poha. By the way, who kept your name, Swami? Every time I call you, it gives me a feeling of a submissive obedient wife. Swami mere Swami (Husband my husband)....Oh God."

He made a funny face and sat on a chair opposite Aryamaan. Swami chuckled. Cabir has the ability to lighten up any gloomy situation. Having no response from Aryamaan, Cabir looked straight at his best friend. Needless to say, Aryamaan was still gazing at the blank wall like a lost man. Being confused Cabir turned at Swami and raised his brows in a query. In reply, Swami only folded his lower lip in desperation and dispersed to the kitchen. Cabir circled his lips as an 'O' and whistled again to gain Arya's heed. But his effort couldn't create any effect on him. Cabir followed his eyes and looked at the point of the wall where Aryamaan's whole attention was fixed.

Cabir: (Cleared his throat) "Well, I know I don't have that much good eye-sight but still I can see that there is no Victorian oil painting of Nandini on your wall that you are lost in your la la land in this lovely morning. Come on, Bro. This puppy romantic face doesn't suit you."

The only word Nandini worked like a magic. Aryamaan came back from his reverie instantly and turned at Cabir with utter surprise.

Aryamaan: (With rolling eyes) "When did you come? And why? Didn't you have an office?"

Cabir chuckled while taking a small chunk of omelette from Aryamaan's plate and putting it inside his mouth.

Cabir: (Relished the taste with closed eyes) "You don't have to bother for my office. I just came to have Swami's special omelette. But now I could feel someone needs my special advice too. What happened, Bro? Anything serious?"

Cabir tried to meet Aryamaan's bewildered eyes. Aryamaan broke the eye contact with an embarrassed face.

Aryamaan: "Na...Nothing...Just thinking about Dad's business. He is insisting me to join his business. Thinking to join him."

Cabir: (In a grave voice) "And your school? Are you resigning?"

Aryamaan: "Hmmm....probably."

Cabir: "Is the reason behind this decision Uncle's request or something else? Nandini?..."

Cabir directly came to the point. Aryamaan perplexedly met his inquisitive eyes and immediately bent his head. After a brief pause, he deeply exhaled and looked at Cabir again.

Aryamaan: "I didn't have anything left in this job. Nandini is engaged. She loves someone else."

...................................................

Hotelroom: 8:40 am:

The room was still fragrant with rose petals and scented candles mingled with the intoxicating odour of champagne. Two bodies were cocooned in each other, probably seeking warmth. Nandini's head was placed on Manik's stretched arm which protectively shackled her upper body into his chest. Both were sleeping like two content souls. Suddenly a ray of light invaded the room through the slit of the curtains and dared to fall on our queen's face. Nandini furrowed her forehead in irritation and tried to hide her face more into Manik's chest. Manik stirred a bit and adjusted his head against Nandini's open hair. As a result, some strands of her tresses tickled his nostrils and he scrunched his nose in botheration. However, the rigid tress was determined to tease our sleeping king.