Power House

Chapter 1- Caleb Tapley

Clomp clomp clomp. My mom was walking down the hallway toward my room from the back of the house. Today was Thursday, and I was not looking forward to getting up. High school was killing me internally.

"Caleb, Caleb, it is time to get up and get ready for school." mom said sweetly as she walked through the door. Her brown hair was in lose curls and her make up was already applied. Showing off her high check bones and covering her lack of sleep.

"ugh...ugh!!!" Was all I could muster for a response.

She turned the light on and left the room, and did not give my drowsy response a thought. I rolled out of bed onto the cold hard floor. which served as the best way to jar me awake.

I usually set out my clothes at night, that way I could get around quicker and possibly lay back down and watch Netflix. I pulled on my jeans, yanked a blue American Eagle shirt over my head, and walked out of my room.

I walked down to the kitchen and got out a toaster from the cabinet and plugged it into the wall. I turned around to the freezer and pulled out a box of frozen waffles and put two into the toaster and pushed down. I turned back around and put the box back, switching my thoughts over to what dreadful work I might have to do at school.

Just then the toaster sparked and went out. I slumped over on the counter in defeat. So this is how my day will go I thought.

"Mom the toaster is dead and I haven't had anything to eat!" I yelled, hoping she could hear me from back in her room. Just then she stepped out and picked it up to look at it. She put it back down and sighed. Placing a hand on her temple.

"Why don't I give you some money and y'all can run by the donut shop and get something " the words seemed to sigh from her lips.

"Thank you ma!" She turned to continue to get ready. As I watched her leave my eyes glanced my brother's room door which was in the hallway right across from the kitchen. "Hey ma, Jacob won't get to work if he doesn't get up

She stalked off toward Jacob's room while I started to make my lunch.

"Jacob Nathan Tapley if you don't get out of that bed so help me-"

She was cut off by him making excuses as usual "ok ok I was about to get up anyway! " he responded defensively.

As I passed by his room to get to the bathroom I heard ma giving him a half-hearted lecture in a tired voice.

"Hey mom all you had to do to get his fat butt up was to tell him he might get donuts." He was actually in better shape than me. Helping on the farm and his volunteer fireman duties. However, I wouldn't pass up a chance to make a little bit of fun of my brother.

I heard Jacob's feet slam the stained concrete floor as he jumped out of bed. He came around the corner following my voice. He was too late though. I gave him a sly smile as I looked him in his furious green eyes and swiftly closed the door of the bathroom. Making sure I locked it.

He reached and pounded on the door. " listen here!! If you..." I decided to ignore the rest and instead just laugh. Mom must have walked away in defeat.

Once he finally walked off to get ready I turned around to the sink and put on deoderant, combed my unwilling hair, and brushed my teeth. When I was finished I looked up into the mirror into my reflection. Even though I had just combed my hair my light brown hair was still sticking up in several places. I looked straight into my eyes and saw my internal tiredness reflected there. My bright blue eyes, crowned by my dark brown eyebrows, underlined by dark crescents that disappeared when I smiled, sloped down to what I though was a decent nose, with my light pink lips, all was found in the reflection as well. Painfully average. Not ugly but not anything special. I though as I let out a big sigh.

I unlocked the door and walked back to my room to wait till the last second until I had to leave. I was turning on the TV when my door burst open and Jacob ran over and jumped on top of me.

I tried to put up a fight but it was futile. After he put me in a head-lock and "tasered"me in the side with two fingers he got bored and left my room. I was still fuming when all of a sudden my TV and lights flickered and shut off. I thought Monday's were supposed to be the worst day of the week!