Chapter 36: Turkey

Thanksgiving Day

I adore spending Thanksgiving with Bash's family. His mother, Shiela, cooks, and her food is always divine. She always treats me like one of her own and even though their family isn't super tight-knit, it feels real and wholesome compared to mine.

Shiela's boyfriend, Carl, is an awkward scientist but is completely infatuated by Shiela. They met back when she was still married to Victor, Bash's father. When Bash was a freshman in high school, Shiela and Carl secretly dated for a year. Shortly after, Shiela divorced Bash's dad and Carl moved right in.

Before that, Victor and Shiela were high-school sweethearts getting married straight out of graduation. He wasn't diagnosed with Bipolar until his 20s after both Matt and Sebastien were born. He would experience sporadic episodes of mania with high feelings like risky behavior and then low, depressive states. I can recall the nights in high school when Bash would come over to my house to avoid the screaming matches of his parents arguing over Victor gambling away their savings. When Victor was hospitalized, he was finally diagnosed, but by then he already lost his day job, his sobriety, and Shiela was ready for a divorce.

Bash rarely talks about his parents. In high school, rumors started growing that his mother was a gold digger or his father was crazy, but if Bash ever heard even a whisper they were shut up by him with a punch to the face. Bash's brother, Matt, has always been even more distant. He has always been civil with me, but Bash once revealed that Matt blames his dad for everything and hates Carl.

Currently, Bash, Shiela, Carl, Matt, and I are all sitting at the table as Shiela says grace. She closes her prayer with a nod and immediately after, Bash starts shoveling mounds of turkey and mashed potatoes on his plate. I put a small heaping of vegetables, biscuits, and potatoes on mine.

"Still a vegetarian, Emma?" Matt says to me.
I glance up.

"Um, yeah," I say uncomfortable by his focus on me.

"You are always commendable Emma! It is miraculous you are so straight on your mores and ethics," Carl mumbles his mouth full of biscuit as he pushes up the rim of his wide-rimmed glasses.

Shiela grabs his hand on the table her silky blonde hair pulled back in an elegant bun. "Yes, she is an amazing young lady," she says shooting me a smile, her eyes sparkling, the blue orbs identical to Sebastien's.

I nod my head and look over at Bash. He is smirking at his plate knowing I am uncomfortable. I flick a pea at him when no one is looking and he gives me a roguish grin, amused when I mess with him. He grabs another pea off my plate eating it with a wink.

"So how's your studies Bash? Did you decide on any internships or real jobs?" His mom asks him raising her eyebrow with expectance.

"Nope," he says without aforethought.

"Sweetie, you're a junior you need to make a decision or start actually furthering your career. Start building connections, network," she urges.

"Yep, well I'm just waiting for it to come to me in a dream. Once that happens then I could finally make up my mind," he declares mockingly leaning back against his chair in arrogance.

"Sebastien," His mom says in a stern tone.

Carl jumps in, "I do not believe it is a great objection to base all your life's plans on a dream. That could result with great tribulation and ruination," he states in seriousness.

"You are very right Carl, it could result in great ruination. I must go to a psychic instead."

Matt laughs and Shiela's eyes fume in anger.

"Well, now. I do not believe that would be a sophisticated option either. You must reach the conclusion from your heart," Carl declares.

I could tell Bash is going to continue to make fun so I reach over and grab his hand under the table and give him a grim look. He releases a sigh and glances back towards Carl and I let go of his hand.

"You're right Carl. I will reach into the deepest darkest parts of my heart and try and pull out something."

Shiela gives a small smile and kisses Carl on the cheek. Carl's whole face beats red as a tomato.

Matt scoffs on the side stabbing his turkey. I look over at Bash and smile in his direction pleased. He then flicks a piece of corn it flying into my hair. I search my hair trying to find and then pluck it out. I shoot him my best dirty look. He roars in laughter to which Carl and Shiela look over at us in confusion. We finish the rest of the meal before Shiela pulls out her infamous blueberry pie and Bash pulls out the remains of our cookies.

***

"Alright, I got the list of stores we need to hit. You better be ready to walk," Jamie tells me as we all are outside waiting as Britt pulls up in her car.

Surprisingly, Matt joined us. "I want to get out," he said simply like it was totally normal even though Matt never joins our outings. Brittany finally gets out and struts over planting a long kiss to Bash.

I turn back around to Jamie. "Yeah, yeah," I mutter to her store hunt spiel. She starts rattling off her list, but then she stops mid-sentence staring. I turn around to see who she is staring at and it is Matt. She apparently did not even notice him until now.

"Well, I know who I am sitting next to," she declares and marches away in his direction. I stare dumbfounded. She was supposed to be my plus-one. I probably should have expressed that to her more vehemently.

"Alright, let's go," Bash says and climbs into the driver's seat.

The car ride is tight with all of us stuffed into Brittany's Mercedes. I am on the other side of Jamie who is wedged between me and Matt. Bash is driving and Brittany is incessantly blabbering on about some tv show to Bash who looks bored.

When we arrive at the mall, Jamie and Matt abandon us immediately leaving the three of us alone. I groan realizing I will be the third wheel once again.

"This is going to be so fun!" Britt exclaims. She shoots off in the direction dragging us to clothing stores. "This is so cute, you should try this on Emma!"

"I am alright, thank you," I reply. She shrugs and goes back to trying on mounds of clothing. I grow tired after a while wanting to go to sleep as it grows later into the night.

"Gosh, how many clothes can a girl try on," Bash mutters greatly irritated about Britt's behavior. To me, she doesn't seem any different than her usual perkiness so I'm surprised by his mood.

"Bash, she's shopping what do you expect?"

"It's 1am on Black Friday, we are supposed to be shopping for gifts for other people," he declares crossing his arms.

"When there is a good deal, you can't help it," I tell him. But all I end up buying the whole night is a tie for my dad. Around 3am, Bash informs us all we are done cutting Brittany off, ignoring her pleas.

"I'm texting Matt now," he says. Once Matt and Jamie stroll back they look much cozier than before. The minute we are alone I am going to ask for details, but I am so tired I pass out on the car ride home.

***