Chapter 7: I'll Just Add Myself

I am feeling foolish about going out last night. Dragging myself out of bed this rainy New Jersey morning, was so not fun or even realistic. Normally I plan to arrive thirty minutes early to my classes, but I only got here with five minutes to spare. The whole front row seating was taken and now I am stuck sitting near the double doors. I grab one of the last rows, the same one with the kid slouched into his notebook softly snoring. Dutifully ignoring him, I situate my laptop and pens on my desk and pull out the syllabus to skim it briefly. As I power read, I notice in my peripheral vision someone stop a couple of feet ahead of me and start to walk backward. I peek over and it is Luka from last night.

"Emma? Emma! Hey, I thought that was you. What's up?"

I blink and a shaky smile forms on my lips. "Oh, hi Luka!" I slip my hair behind my ear. "So um, you're taking Statistics?" I mutter dumbly.

"Yeah, it's one of my prerequisites for my pre-med requirements."

"Oh, I am pre-med too," I repeat.

He beams. "Can I sit?"

I notice that the professor is advancing toward the podium now.

"Oh, yeah sorry," I blurt. I quickly push back my backpack and desk so he can get through, but my pens go flying to the floor. I hurriedly try to pick them up and he kneels to help me collect them. I see him laughing and I know I am blushing deeply.

"Thank you," I mutter embarrassed.

"No problem!"

The professor starts talking and Luka sits down on my right. It is almost hard to listen because now I am feeling self-conscious next to him. I have never sat with anyone I knew in my lectures.

Midway through, the professor pauses and instructs us to get a number of a classmate in case we ever miss a class. Luka turns and looks at me pointedly.

"If I am not being too forward, Emma may I have your number since our professor insists on it?" He says with a smirk.

I blink, totally rattled by him. "Okay" I frantically say and shove my phone toward him.

"While I am at it, I am just going to add myself back on Snapchat since you failed to do so," he declares and he shows me as he adds his user onto my phone.

I forget my awkwardness and instantly go sheepish. "Oh no! I meant to, I forgot. I woke up late this morning and I was late to class..." I start rambling.

"Mhmm, sure you did. And late? You were here before me," he replies handing my phone back to me.

"I like to get here fairly early," I answer back, taking it from him and sliding it into my backpack.

He snorts. "Alrighty."

I cross my arms against my chest. "I'm serious. I like to pick out the seat I want in the front row so I don't miss anything."

"Ah, I see." He leans too far back in his chair. "You're a total dork," he murmurs with a smug grin. I freeze, shocked by his bluntness. I mean I am, it's true, but he doesn't have to point it out.

"Whatever," I grumble folding back into my uncomfortable plastic seat. "Oh. Um, wait. How did you even manage to find me on Snapchat?"

Coyly, he folds his hands behind his head and admits, "You said you knew Sebastien and well, I got connections."

"That sounds like you stalked me," I retort. He laughs and I laugh a little too, taken aback at my response.

"Maybe I did. I wanted to know the mysterious girl who disappeared on us last night," he tells me grinning.

I turn red and direct my attention back down to my laptop. The professor's droning voice starts back up resuming his previous discussion about the syllabus and I keep my sole focus on him. Shortly after, class ends relatively early. Almost immediately a flood of backpacks zip close and laptops snap shut as everyone shuffles out as fast as they can.

"So when's your next class?" Luka asks as he tosses his backpack onto his shoulder and casually stretches his legs.

"I am done for the day. I only picked one class on Fridays so I have a long weekend."

"No way, me too! Want to go get lunch?"

"Uh," I look down at my watch. "It's 10am?" I say questionably and I bundle up all of my belongings as well.

He nods. "Exactly, so where do you want to go?"

I glance at him. I originally thought he was joking, but he looks dead serious. I wasn't planning on stopping at the dining hall, but I did rush out of my room this morning with only a feeble granola bar. My stomach grumbles ferociously answering my decision for me.

"Alright, um, would you like to go to the B Dining Hall?" I ask.

"Perfect, let's go!"

I gulp uncomfortably.

***

***

Thanks amazing readers :) The story will pick up soon! Have a lovely day/evening ☺️