Chapter 39: On A Break

After a couple of hours of a nap, I wake to darkness. I glance at my phone and realize it is later in the evening so I slept most of the day away. My mind is calmer, but still a jigsaw puzzle trying to scramble all the pieces of the other night together. I decide to solve one of the issues by dialing up Jamie. Basically to hear her side of things, but also use her perspective to decipher Bash.

"Hey Jamie," I say apprehensively holding the phone close to my ear.

"What's up Emma?"

"So are you going to tell me what the hell happened?" I declare getting right to the point not able to hold it in anymore.

She goes silent on her end. "I uh, its complicated," she states agitated.

"You slept with Matt?" I say more of a statement than a question.

"Yes, I did," she responds her voice growing smaller.

"But um, what about Jeremy?" I ask confused.

"Well, we are not official..."

"Jamess," I say dragging out her name.

"Ok, I wasn't thinking, alright. Matt was smoking hot and I just didn't think," her voice strained. "But honestly Jeremy and I aren't a couple, we only kissed." She pauses for a moment. "But it still doesn't feel right, that's why I ended up running out before Matt woke up."

I can hear her turmoil raging. My voice softens, "Are you going to tell Jeremy?"

"If I do he probably is going to end things. He already knows I slept with Jared and I wasn't even going out with Jeremy at the time," her voice cracking.

"Do you like Jeremy?" I ask instead.

"I actually do. I think I am falling for him and I just messed it all up," she says and then sniffles.

"No, no don't say that. Jeremy is a very sweet guy. I honestly don't believe he would just dump you like that," I say hopefully.

"Do you think I just shouldn't even tell him?"

"I am not sure Jamie," I respond her anxiety starting to spread onto me. "I don't think I should make that decision."

She wavers. "You're right. I am a shitty person. I can't believe myself. I don't even know why—"

"Hey, hey, stop it's alright. Don't tear yourself down."

"Gosh!" She exclaims. "Things are so much easier when I don't care about the guy. I am going to go, okay? I need to think over some things."

I nod my head and then remember I am on the phone.

"Alright, you'll be okay Jamie. If you want to call me later, I'll leave my volume on."

"Thanks, Emma."

I hang up and moments later I realize I never got to tell her about Sebastien.

***

I return to campus the next day by bus, doing everything in my power to avoid my best friend at all costs. I haul my laundry hamper over my shoulder when I faintly recognize a blonde bypassing me. It's Britt, wearing sweatpants. I blink twice. That seems a little odd...for her.