Chapter 41: Strike

I got you a day to test out the hospital internship with Dr. Williams. He is one of the doctors undertaking students from Princeton. Friday at noon. (Dad)

I reread the text 3 times. I shouldn't have told my dad. I rather get the internship on my own merit and skills. Biting my lip I respond back realizing I should at least use it to my advantage.

Thank you, dad. Any chance I could bring a friend along as well? He's also interested.

Done. (Dad)

Revealed I won't have to do this alone I text Luka I hooked him up.

NO WAY! Thank you! You may have just bumped Jared for best friend. (Luka)

I send him a laughing emoji. Are you coming tonight to bowl?

Yep, Vanessa can't come, but I'll be there. (Luka)

Excited at almost everyone coming, I open my closet settling with a silky teal long-sleeve top, black jeans, and some of my old bowling shoes from years ago.

"Rayna is actually going to tag along!" Becky shouts as I emerge from the bathroom.

"She is? That's great!" I pause "Wait... it is great right?"

She laughs a blush blossoming her cheeks. "Yes, it is."

"Perfect! So, it will be Sebastien, Jess, Jared, me, you, and Rayna." I look down at my watch. "Do you want to head there now?"

She nods and we lock our door before we head outside and start walking. It is chilly, but the alley is only a short distance from campus. Five blocks later, we walk into the complex shivering before taking off our coats. The rushing of distant pins scattering and balls crashing into each other floods my ears. I glance around taking it in since it is the first time I have ever been to this bowling alley. It's softly lit with neon lights and a pretty ugly carpet looking like it is from the '60s, but I like the overall feel. The lights reflect off the lanes offering a pretty sheen and there is a decent crowd of all ages spread across around the 20-30 lanes. We notice Jess who waves at us off to our right side in the rental shoe line.

"Hey! I already reserved two lanes. Let's go get our bowling balls. We are just waiting on Sebastien now."

She grabs her shoes and I follow her along. I constantly glance over my shoulder to the door while Jess and I go to browse our selection. I pick a pretty blue one with flames racing along the side. It is incredibly smooth and only 8 pounds. I highly doubt I can lift more than that.

"Oh, Sebastien is here," she says and I whip my head around and spot him. My stomach drops. He has his arm around a slim, red-headed girl. He brought a new girl. I turn back to Jess quickly covering any feelings that may have showed on my fave.

"Do you want to go grab them and bring them over?" She asks me unaware.

"He can find us," I mutter quietly snatching the ball a little too aggressively and walk back over to our lanes.

Luka walks up to me in a dorky bowling ball polo that he somehow pulls off. "Looks like we are doing teams. It could be me, you, and Sebastien,"

"And his new girl." I spit out.

Luka's eyebrows raise. "He brought—"

"Hey guys," Sebastien interrupts and we spin around. "This is Serena."

"Hello!" Jess says and quickly jumps into action introducing everyone. Sebastien and Serena look gorgeous and I hate my petty jealousy, but I still drop down to brood in my chair. Of course, he is with someone. Good thing Vanessa didn't come, because I would literally be the only single one. It never bothered me before, but all of a sudden I feel the odd one out for not being in a relationship.