Chapter 4: Oops

Thursday 10pm

I have been here all of ten minutes and I already feel so out of place. Jamie and I managed to walk in easily with our names on the list and then we set off for the dance area, or actually, she dragged me to the dance area. Thankfully, the main party wasn't in the basement like most fraternity parties. Since it is an exclusive party they let the front doors open and all the guests are scattered throughout the historic two-story building.

Ten minutes ago, Jamie told me to wait here so she could go get drinks, but I haven't seen her since. She did this the last time we came to a party and I ended up finding her making out with the DJ. I love her to death, but she is sometimes unbearable. I already attempted calling both her and Bash but neither of them have picked up.

Now, I am huddled in the corner right by the spiral staircase where there is a funky smell stemming from the sides. From my perspective, it looks like everyone around is having a grand old time or they are just very drunk and wouldn't know the difference. People are dancing, sweating, and drinking from their red solo cups looking like they don't have a care in the world. I honestly wish I could just walk right up and join in on the fun without any awkwardness or hesitation, but I'm at a loss as to how.

Abruptly, a cold, wet substance hits me like a waterfall from above. It splashes all over me, sliding coldly down my back and seeping into my hair. I frantically wipe the tip of my forehead disgusted and the smell of alcohol engulfs me. What in the world?

"Oops," a high-pitched voice shrieks from somewhere high up. I rub my back feeling more wetness and glimpse up to find the source. I spot a girl on a staircase above me holding onto the railing outlandishly giggling. She is gripping a now half-empty beer keg that she clearly just spilled down onto me. She doesn't notice my presence and stumbles down the steps scurrying right on past me.

Awesome. I am now thoroughly disgusting. My hair and top are soaked and I feel as though I just bathed in beer. I glance over at the back of Jamie's shirt, and luckily it doesn't look too bad. But I am drenched and there is already a stain forming on Jamie's cute blouse. I quickly scan the crowd looking to see if I can spot Sebastien's golden hair or Jamie bouncing around, but I can't see over the masses of people. I take a deep breath and cautiously step closer to the crowd to get a better look before I feel a soft poke against my bare shoulder.

I whip around fast hoping it is one of them, but instead I find a lanky guy standing before me holding out a few paper towels. He has ruffled, chocolate hair with a warm smile, and looms just a head taller than me. I nervously peer at him and then the towels with a question in my eyes.

"I saw those girls just dropped like a keg onto you and walked away. But luckily, from experience, I happen to know the DJ carries towels. Let me give you some key advice," he says leaning closer to me, his voice deep but muffled from the noise surrounding us. "Never stand near a staircase. Also, never wear your best shoes. It is pretty common to get beer all over you by the end of the night." He grins at me and I flush red as I delicately take the towel from his outreached hand.

I mumble "thanks" and try to wipe my back and hair off without looking too uncomfortable by his presence.

"What sorority are you in?" He says to me after a few moments and I look back up at him surprised he is still standing there.

"I'm not in a sorority," I answer shaking my head. I towel squeeze my hair crinkling my nose at the overbearing smell of alcohol still enveloping me. I glance back at him and his eyebrows are raised in disbelief.

"Really?" He asks a small edge of doubt creeping in his voice.

"Um, yeah. My friend lives here so he was able to get me in," I respond uneasily shifting the weight from one leg to the other.

"Boyfriend?"

"Oh no, just my good friend Sebastien," I stammer back.

He smiles back at me. "Well, I'm Luka."

"Nice to meet you, Luka," I say reflexively.

He smiles at me waiting and I timidly smile back. Then after a couple of seconds goes by he adds, "And what is your name?"

Dammit, I am such a mess. I can't even carry out a simple conversation with a stranger.

"I am Emma," I answer putting out my hand to shake. He looks at it and chuckles and then clasps his hand with mine giving a firm shake.

"So where are your friends?" he questions me briefly scanning the area.

"I haven't found my friend Sebastien yet and my other friend somehow got lost from here to the bar." I look back at the crowd hoping to see Jamie magically appear in my line of sight and rescue me.

"Sounds like you could use some company in the meantime...Want to dance?"

My eyes widen at that and my whole body instantly tenses. "Um, yeah no I can't," I stutter shaking my head back and forth. See this is exactly why I am terrified of parties. Dancing in front of people or just around other humans is not my cup of tea.

"You can't?" He banters his smile broadening.

"I am um, pretty bad," I answer falteringly. I silently cringe at my lame excuse.

"Oh, come on. Look around you can't be any worse than these fools that are plastered." He nods his head over to one guy who is just waving his hands in the air in front of the wall. A tiny giggle escapes me and I bite my lip.

"It'll be fun! I am with some friends and not to brag but they are cool," he tells me winking. I continue to stare at him baffled so he continues talking, "If after five minutes you're still not feeling it you can walk away and I swear I won't chase after you. We'll never see each other again." He raises his hands in mock surrender.

I quickly glance back into the crowd weighing my options. I deliberate if I should take my chances standing here with the possibility of getting doused in beer again and possibly being approached by more strangers, or hanging out with him until I find Bash and Jamie... He does seem relatively nice.

With many misgivings, I murmur, "Okay, then." I pull out my phone and send Jamie a text.

Text me asap! I'm going to go dancing. Come save me 😬.

****Author's Note*I am not going to lie, I got the inspiration for the beer spill because something similar happened to me *facepalm* and getting beer on you is quite common at frat parties

***
*Author's Note*
I am not going to lie, I got the inspiration for the beer spill because something similar happened to me *facepalm* and getting beer on you is quite common at frat parties. Unfortunately for me, no cute guy came up to me with a towel. Some of us gotta learn the hard way folks lol.

Comment and vote if you are slightly into this story or how you are feeling so far! I love reading comments and seeing votes <3