Chapter 3: Your Fate Is Sealed

He picks up on the third ring. "Bash" I begin as soon as I hear the phone click. Jamie immediately rushes down next to me to be on the other side of the phone.

"Oh no," his deep voice rumbles in alarm. "I do not want to hear Jamie screaming at me, okay? The list is full and it was difficult enough getting Britt onto the list."

I take a deep breath preparing myself. "Bash. I want to go," I announce with as much fake confidence as I can, but not truly believing it myself. I have to work on my acting skills.

There's a momentary silence and then he erupts with laughter. "Nope, not falling for it Emma. Tell Jamie good try."

Jamie arches her eyebrows and begins shooting me a pleading expression. I huff out loud suppressing my laugh. They're both impossible.

"No, Bash," I say and try and muster up an excuse. "When you told me about the party, I kinda felt left out. You guys are my best friends and I have been barely seeing either of you because I never go out to the kinds of things you guys do."

Since he moved into his frat house last summer and I stayed in my dorm with Jamie, we don't see each other every day like we used to when Sebastien and I were neighbors. We still see each other and carpool back home, but lately, he has been even more preoccupied with becoming co-president and working his mechanic job on the side. Jamie likes to go out a lot as well and since I have been spending all my summer and free time studying for medical school, she has been hanging with her other friends more often.

The phone goes silent once again, Sebastien contemplating what I said. "I don't believe you. You hate parties and going out," he responds suspiciously.

Jamie turns nodding at me encouragingly to further persuade him. I pause for a moment speculating...

"Also," I utter hesitantly not sure if this is the actual truth or not but wanting to help Jamie as much as I could. "I have been meaning to push myself to go out and experience a little more so this would probably be a good start. I can suck it up and go out for a night so I can hang out with you guys." I tuck a curl behind my ear waiting for his response.

"Wow, you're being serious right now? Damn, Emma. I would love if you came. Alright! I am on it. I will just kick someone off the list," Bash answers casually, most likely already brainstorming who he will remove.

"Bash! Wait, no don't kick someone out!" I blurt frantically biting my lip. "Um, can you just scribble the name on the end or something?" I ask unsure how the system works and also afraid of how serious Bash is.

"Ughh, fine," he teases. "It would be so much more fun to just tell someone not to come, but I can pull some favors and just get your name in." I release my breath relieved and he chuckles. "I can't believe you actually want to come, you never want to come," he says. "This is awesome, but you can't back out now, it's too late your fate is sealed. I'll see you at ten."

I can see Jamie's face breaking out in a huge grin looking as though she is going to explode from elation.

"Thanks, Bash. Jamie is coming with me. I can't show up alone," I say evidently as I stare at Jamie who is bouncing on the ends of her toes.

"I know," he responds wryly which I can just picture him rolling his eyes to. "I'll get you both in. See you."

"Bye, thanks again Bash," I reply and then hang up the phone still staring at the screen baffled at what I just did.

Jamie jumps on me distracting me from my thoughts. "Hell yeah! This is going to be amazing Emma. I knew you could do it! I got some extra outfits you can wear. I could even help with your hair and makeup."

"Alright," I say uneasily still processing the last few minutes. "But nothing too extreme," I add, because we both have very different styles when it comes to fashion, her idea of normal is my idea of extravagant.

"I know, I know. This will be great don't worry! You need to get out for once and I will make sure you look awesome when you do," she retorts and spins towards her closet. She dives in basically attacking it, throwing articles of clothing left and right endlessly searching. She emerges seconds later with a satin burgundy cami, a pair of dangly earrings, and some gold lace-up sandals.

She grins widely handing them off to me and I slip them on against my black-distressed jeans, olive skin, and hazel eyes. With a quick once-over, I think I appear fitting for the circumstance and I sit down down so Jamie can start kneading some cream into my curly, chestnut hair. She begins enthusiastically humming that same pop song again, fulfilled by her accomplishment. I slowly watch as the clock ticks closer to ten and decide I should have run for the hills before Jamie had a chance to drag me into this. My brain starts running wild as I imagine the crowds of people and awkward small talk that is about to happen. I quickly shut my eyes awaiting this soon-to-be disaster as the clock continues to tick.

***